Travel Bug Not Logged in Inventory

paticpatic

I have a cache that recently had a visitor that logged a Find and said they left a TB. They also provided a description of where the TB has been. I checked the cache inventory and it is not their. I checked the players TBs and it still shows up in their inventory. The player has about 500 finds, but only moved about 5 TBs. I sent them a message and email asking them to properly drop it in my cache and get no response. Should I wait until they drop it properly? Or can I go to my cache, verify it is truly there, record the tracking code. Then, is it possible to use the tracking code and place it in my cache? Will it then automatically leave their inventory and be in my cache inventory? Any guidance is appreciated.

If they logged your cache they had the opportunity to drop it in on GC.com, in this situation I think you would justifed in retrieving the trackable number from the item, grabbing it from the current location, then write a note and place it correctly in the cache. You could then, leave it there or grab it from the cache again to move it on. At least that would give the owner a reasonably accurate mileage and route for his trackable.

On the one hand, you don't have to worry about it. The next person finding your cache is in just a good a position as you to see if the trackable's there. And the cacher that dropped it might come to their senses or read your e-mail and correct the problem.

On the other hand, if you're curious and you want to visit your cache anyway, you can go check. Assuming you find it there, you can leave it in the cache ("Grab" from the holder, then "Dropped off" attached to your owner maintenance log), or you can take it with you ("Grab" from the holder, then "Visited" attached to your OM log). The system's designed to allow people to correct a TB's location if they find the TB somewhere other than where it's supposed to be.

I visited my cache and found the dog tag, chain, and nothing attached (yellow mouse) to the chain. I wrote down the TB code and viewed its log and see somebody else last month said the yellow mouse was missing. It looks like the chain and dog tag is still being passed around. Should I message the owner and see what they want want to do or just keep the tag and chain moving?

Logging it messages the owner.

If the TO hasn't logged anything from the last mentioning that yellow mouse is missing, odds are your log's probably not gonna be much different.

I rarely touch trackables today due to all the issues that now seem the norm.

Inactive owners, those that don't care, those that are anal retentive/OC over a toy...

I'd just move the tag along and go on with my own life.

If you're this way with every sick trackable that happens to hit your cache, I hear Tums Smoothies are great. :)

Thanks for trying to do the right things with the trackables!

I wouldn't worry too much about the yellow mouse being missing, the tag is the traveling and trackable part of the traveler. If you have a mousie you want to attach, then fine, otherwise don't fret over that. Since you have it now, you should 'grab it from somewhere else', so that it becomes in your possession. Then log a note on your cache and do a 'visited' so that it gets the credit for being there. Then place it in another cache to let it continue its travels, and of course log it as dropped off when you do so.

Happy travels!