Garmin 650t

na kupuna

I've been using the 650t for the last 5 months in one location. About 2 weeks ago I could not get the 650t to open up to the caches down loaded. I kept getting the same reply that I needed to adjust my settings. I emailed Garmin Support for help but none of their recommendations seem to help. Need help here...

I've been using the 650t for the last 5 months in one location. About 2 weeks ago I could not get the 650t to open up to the caches down loaded. I kept getting the same reply that I needed to adjust my settings.

Reply from who/what??

Where are the loaded caches located? More than 100Km from your current location? If so, you won't see them but if you scroll the map to where they should be and then zoom in you'll see them. You can also use "search near"...

I've been using the 650t for the last 5 months in one location. About 2 weeks ago I could not get the 650t to open up to the caches down loaded. I kept getting the same reply that I needed to adjust my settings.

Reply from who/what??

Where are the loaded caches located? More than 100Km from your current location? If so, you won't see them but if you scroll the map to where they should be and then zoom in you'll see them. You can also use "search near"...

All of my caches are no further then 30 miles from my home location. The caches are downloaded to the device and usually deleted at the end of the same day. I've gone through with Garmin on all of the issues related to this problem but now Garmin is telling me its the software on the Geocaching web page which I think is BS

Reply from who/what??

The reply is from the GPS. When s search in a Garmin GPS yields no caches, the user is prompted by the GPS to "adjust settings" or "adjust search." I've seen both.

You might take a look at x:\Garmin\Gpx\ and check if the files are there. If not, put the GPX files in that directory. If there are files there you can delete them and after a restart put 1 (closeby) cache GPX file in that location.

After doing that check the filters to make sure all cachetypes are shown, do the same for D/T ratings, cache size and Found/DNF. Nothing should be "greyed out".

You might take a look at x:\Garmin\Gpx\ and check if the files are there. If not, put the GPX files in that directory. If there are files there you can delete them and after a restart put 1 (closeby) cache GPX file in that location.

After doing that check the filters to make sure all cachetypes are shown, do the same for D/T ratings, cache size and Found/DNF. Nothing should be "greyed out".

I just went back in deleted the GPX file on the 650t. Next downloaded a cache 2 miles from my location then tried to pull it up and get the standard reply of adjusting you perimeters. And yes the GPX file on the 650 does show the cache being there.

I even went into the 650 and adjusted and blocked files in the Geocaching file that I would not use.

I next opened up Basecamp and downloaded the 650 and the cache shows up on the map.

I even went into the 650 and adjusted and blocked files in the Geocaching file that I would not use.

Adjusting and blocking files? You lost me there... :unsure:

If you copy the /profiles directory to your computer first you could try to reset the unit to default values. Next, see if you can load a close by cache and see if it shows on the map.

BTW, have you checked zoom levels in setup > map > advanced setup > zoomlevels > geocaches Use anything above 1Km/mile, srcoll the map to the cache location and start zooming in.

Adjusting and blocking files? You lost me there... :unsure:

If you copy the /profiles directory to your computer first you could try to reset the unit to default values. Next, see if you can load a close by cache and see if it shows on the map.

BTW, have you checked zoom levels in setup > map > advanced setup > zoomlevels > geocaches Use anything above 1Km/mile, srcoll the map to the cache location and start zooming in.

I should of said adjusting the filters. Just went through the setup>map> etc, etc no luck there either.

The terms you are using are confusing as you seem to be doing different things in different posts.

First: you downloaded a single cache, said you saw the GPX file in x:/Garmin/GPX, but the GPS did not display the cache. Correct so far? Is the cache you tried this with, one that you previously found?

You say you are filtering and blocking, so that seems to mean you are using pocket queries. Is that true or are you doing the filtering, adjusting, blocking on the GPS?

Can you tell us step by step what you are doing, starting on the web site and ending on the GPS, so we can try to assist? I know this seems too basic but with the info we have it feels like we are herding cat shadows.

Okay.

The cache I downloaded to the 650t was about 2 miles from my home location and no, I did not find this one.

When I mentioned filtering out it is on the GPS.

Usually a day or two before I go geocaching I go to the web site and look over various caches that I want to do. I next click on the cache and transfer it to my GPS. After downloading 15-20 caches I'll go to the GPS GPX folder and make sure the caches are there. I next disconnect then open the GPS to make sure the caches are in the Geocaching folder. Out in the field next geocaching until the end of the day. Next I log the caches I find and delete all of the data in the GPS GPX folder. I gone through this routine for years now.

As I explained earlier with all of the problems I've been having recently I went through the same routine with the one cache and again got the same reply that I should adjust my settings. I next hooked up the GPS to Basecamp and downloaded what data I had on the GPS. The Basecamp shows the cache as it is at the right location.

Okay, try the following to see if it helps.

Connect the GPS to the computer.

Remove all GPX and LOC files from [gps]:/Garmin/GPX.

Remove all GPX and LOC files from [sdcard]:/Garmin/GPX.

Disconnect the GPS from computer and restart the GPS twice.

Connect the GPS to the computer.

Download a single, unfound, nearby cache to your computer by clicking the "GPX file" button on the cache page.

Copy the downloaded cache from the computer to [gps]:/Garmin/GPX.

Disconnect the GPS from computer and test.

You have not told us what type of GPS you have (Oregon or Montana), type of computer (PC or Mac), operating system you are using and which browser you are using.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Okay.

The cache I downloaded to the 650t was about 2 miles from my home location and no, I did not find this one.

When I mentioned filtering out it is on the GPS.

Usually a day or two before I go geocaching I go to the web site and look over various caches that I want to do. I next click on the cache and transfer it to my GPS. After downloading 15-20 caches I'll go to the GPS GPX folder and make sure the caches are there. I next disconnect then open the GPS to make sure the caches are in the Geocaching folder. Out in the field next geocaching until the end of the day. Next I log the caches I find and delete all of the data in the GPS GPX folder. I gone through this routine for years now.

As I explained earlier with all of the problems I've been having recently I went through the same routine with the one cache and again got the same reply that I should adjust my settings. I next hooked up the GPS to Basecamp and downloaded what data I had on the GPS. The Basecamp shows the cache as it is at the right location.

A cache 2 miles away can be a problem if the GPSr thinks it's 100 miles away. I guess yours is locked on its position, but it's a consideration.

I have the Garmin Oregon 650T, so I can test things. What OS & Browser do you use? What is your GPSr's software version?

It is possible to completely filter out all caches, even by random taps by accident. Could it simply be a filter?

Some GPSrs are very finicky about how you add and remove caches. Each new GPX file must be indexed by the device. The file may arrive just fine, but the cache doesn't get added to the internal database. If you think this may be the issue, try turning the GPSr off then back on. That can help. I now allow a lot more time (5 or 10 minutes) after loading a new GPX file before unplugging from the USB port, and doing so, I haven't had invisible caches in over a year. But I've had software updates, too.

Do you have a public web space where you can post your Garmin GPSr Geocaching Profile? If I loaded that onto my GPSr, I could tell if it shows the same issue or not. If not, it's (probably) not a setting. Just switching through other Profiles, you could see if caches show up on the map.

Edited by kunarion