Sint Maarten vs Saint-Martin

elyob

In Waymarking, the waymarks seem to be categorized as belonging to one country whether on the French side or the Netherlands side of the island. The geocaches seem to be categorized as belonging to St Martin or Netherland Antilles, depending on location. Can someone in the know tell me if this island hosts one or two grounspeak countries?

In Waymarking, the waymarks seem to be categorized as belonging to one country whether on the French side or the Netherlands side of the island. The geocaches seem to be categorized as belonging to St Martin or Netherland Antilles, depending on location. Can someone in the know tell me if this island hosts one or two grounspeak countries?

For the purposes of geocaching, there are now two "entities" on the island (I think it was changed by GS in the last two years.) One is St Martin and the other is the Netherlands Antilles (locally Sint Maarten) Geocaches found in each area are listed separately in your "countries cached" list.

There is still some cleaning up to do now that the island has been divided into its political parts. I see, for example, that there is a cache on Bonaire that comes up under a "Netherlands Antilles" search despite the fact that Bonaire has its own listing .

For the purposes of geocaching, there are now two "entities" on the island (I think it was changed by GS in the last two years.) One is St Martin and the other is the Netherlands Antilles (locally Sint Maarten) Geocaches found in each area are listed separately in your "countries cached" list.

There is still some cleaning up to do now that the island has been divided into its political parts. I see, for example, that there is a cache on Bonaire that comes up under a "Netherlands Antilles" search despite the fact that Bonaire has its own listing .

I disagree that "cleaning up" should be done in the Bonaire case. If the cache was placed/published during the time the location was part of the Netherlands Antilles I think it should remain in that (former) country for historic reasons.

I disagree that "cleaning up" should be done in the Bonaire case. If the cache was placed/published during the time the location was part of the Netherlands Antilles I think it should remain in that (former) country for historic reasons.

I agree. Netherland Antilles split up into multiple countries in 2010. Caches placed on any of the current countries before 2010 should still be listed as Netherland Antilles. However, I think that caches placed after the dissolution in what is now Sint Maarten should be listed as Sint Maarten. When placing a new cache the cache submittal process provides a select list of countries/territories when entering the details. Sint Maarten is not on the list.

How does this differ from the situation where the D/T on a cache changes because it was rated incorrectly to begin with or the cache environment changed? History should have nothing to do with it, the political entity has changed, so should the cache location. If you find a cache on Bonaire it should increment your Bonaire cache count. It seems ludicrous to find two caches there and have finds in two different entities without crossing any sort of border. Reminds me of some hanky-panky where a mystery cache's coordinates were placed in Belarus (the cache was actually in Latvia) so people could get Belarus on their list without having to pay for the visa.