Create a Needs Maintenance List

camp_master

Over the past year I have gotten more and more into geocaching. Lately I have been checking up on caches that I have found to make sure they were in good order (no full logs, sealed container, etc.). I've looked everywhere to try to figure out how to do this to no avail. I would like to create something like an instant notification for each cache that I have already found so that when a needs maintenance attribute is given to it I get an email. This way I can go out and check to see if there is anything I can do to help. The only ways I see that this is possible is 1) create an instant notification for any needs maintenance logs within a certain radius of a certain area. Or 2) Watch each individual cache and get a notification for each log, whether it be a find, DNF, NM, NA, etc. Any help with this? Again, I just want to get a notification when a NM log appears on caches that I have already found. Thanks for any help with this.

Why not put out more caches of your own?

- Give you something to do.

You "check up" on other's caches?

I normally could care less if someone's watching my few remaining caches, or added 'em into bookmarks.

Sorry, but if I found that someone's keeping track just so they could "help" with my cache, I'd think it a bit creepy.

Edited to add...

I do maintenance myself. We don't wait for a NM log, though some come up (that "other side of the paper" thing), but respond to logs if an issue.

I sure as heck don't want someone running out "helping" me when I don't need it. :)

Edited by cerberus1

As a cache owner, I'm not sure I would appreciate someone doing my job for me. Doing the maintenance on my cache is a part of my job that I enjoy and signed up for when I placed it.

Sounds like you need more of your own caches to maintain, they would probably be good ones to find since you would maintain them well.

Although I do appreciate your enthusiasm, it's the cache owners job and to interfere with that or encourage cache owners to NOT do their own maintenance is probably not the best direction to go.

Just one viewpoint for you to consider. Good luck and happy caching :)

Edited by cldcaches

I pretty much agree with the other responders. I never intentionally go looking for caches that need maintenance. If I was a CO, I wouldn't want anyone to go out and do any cache maintenance for me. However, there are times when I am going out with my son and the grandkids, and we will go to caches that I have already found, and they haven't. If the cache is missing, I will post a NM. But I never do any maintenance on a cache, except maybe leaving a pencil.

To answer your question, the Groundspeak API does have a status check function. You may want to look into tools like GSAK or project-gc. Third party tools may be able to help you keep up with cache status information.

Skye.

I agree with everyone above. You mean well, but you're working against the system that works when implemented properly. Use the NM and NA logs to promote responsible ownership.

The database is filled with abandoned caches. (In my cache dense area I guesstimate that 75% of the caches are abandoned). By fixing abandoned caches you send the message out that it's OK to publish a cache and never maintain it. Most responsible cache owners will maintain their own caches at the first sign of trouble and will not let an NM linger.

Edited by L0ne.R

Kind of reminded me of this cache that I tried for a second time today. It was disabled a few weeks ago and some cacher decided to go do a check. He found it still in place but stuck and went back a second time to "unstuck" it. It's most likely that none of that effort will matter, though, since the CO doesn't appear to be interested in maintaining it. If there is a hint that the CO is still active and the container needs help, yeah...I'll do some minor maintenance now and then. If it's just been basically abandoned, though...let it die a natural death if the CO can't be bothered to put in the effort to keep it going.

It looks as though some of you have looked at my profile. Maybe not, I don't know. I am slowly putting new caches out as I have the resources to do so. I go to school in Arkansas and around there, we help each other out. There is one cacher specifically who posted a lot of caches then moved a few cities away. There are a few of us who help him maintain these caches since he can't always get to them. I can understand leaving ones alone that the COs don't care about. I don't bother with those. I always check to make sure the CO is still active and if not, I let it get archived. On top of that, I do check with the CO to make sure that my assistance would be appreciated before I go help them. But I definitely understand where you all are coming from. I'm getting my caches out there. I don't want to just put out a bunch of micros that are all the same. I'm trying to be creative with them. For me, creativity takes time.

I don't want to just put out a bunch of micros that are all the same. I'm trying to be creative with them. For me, creativity takes time.

Perfect! Sounds like you will be a responsible and creative cache owner.

Encourage that sense of good ownership in other hiders too. smile.gif

I don't want to just put out a bunch of micros that are all the same. I'm trying to be creative with them. For me, creativity takes time.
One bit of advice that I heard from a local known for his creative caches: If you're making one, then it takes only a bit more time to make 2 or 3.

When he makes his creative caches, he makes a couple extra copies at the same time. That way, when they need maintenance/replacement, he can just take one of the extra copies out and get the cache going again.

My suggestion would be to move to the bay area and put all my caches on your list! It would make my life so much easier! I will even meet up with you and give you a bunch of containers!

All kidding aside it is a nice thing for you to do. That is if they are active CO's and they would like your help. I don't recommend fixing up ones that should be let go.

Most of my caches I prefer to do them myself unless I have already set up some to help because they are too far away.

But to answer the OP's question, what I do is create a Bookmark list I call Maintenance Run. Of course these are my caches not others. Only a few any other cachers do I do, for the same reason. It was agreed upon because the other CO is too far or I juat happen to be closer. Like a FTF I found right outside my work. The CO happens to work at the same place but I didn't even know who he was or that he worked here until that cache came out. We work different shifts and I only met him a few times. So I keep his cache on my watchlist and he is glad I help out when someone logs a DNF. So far it's just newbies not knowing what a nano is. Or someone moves it away from where it was first placed.