Increasing Search Radius

Grahame Cookie

I'm wondering if there is a place in the system for the Premium member to specify the range for searching for geocaches.

In 'cache poor' areas (I have 650 caches within 80 km radius) it is relatively easy to clear out the 'home zone', and I'm wondering if I can specify a range of 100 km, for example. I don't always have access to GSAK, eg, when on a tablet or 'smart phone' device.

I'm wondering if there is a place in the system for the Premium member to specify the range for searching for geocaches.

In 'cache poor' areas (I have 650 caches within 80 km radius) it is relatively easy to clear out the 'home zone', and I'm wondering if I can specify a range of 100 km, for example. I don't always have access to GSAK, eg, when on a tablet or 'smart phone' device.

When doing your PQ you can select any range but it will only get 1000 caches max. I have mine set at 100km which gives me 1000. The furthest is actually about 96km away. I use GSAK and set my search filter to 100klm.

I use GSAK & upload NSW to my Magellan. That way I always have a range of geocaches no matter what road I take. If only I could find them. I don't look for all types & sizes on this site but include all Geocaching Australia types, other than Locationless. I also add Waymarks I'd like to visit.

If you're trying to use the new search on the site, leave the first box blank and click on "Add Filters." You'll need to specify some geographical area, such as your state or the neighbouring state in the "Limit Search To..." box. (If you then specify a radius, it'll do a radius from the centre of that state.) Add other filters to narrow the search.

I do my PQ's a little different, as I also live in a fairly cache-poor area. Instead of trying to define an area X number of miles from my home location or a zip code or some other central point, I simply view the Geocaching map and sort of zone on on the area I'm interested in caching. I frame up the area I want within the map view and then select "Save As Pocket Query" on the left-hand menu. Viola, all the caches within the map view are saved as a PQ. I find this method much easier.

Of course, you're still limited to 1,000 caches. If you happen to have framed up an area with more than 1,000 caches in it, the PQ will start nearest the center of the view, so some of the most outlying ones may not be included.

If Groundspeak ever removes this method and I'm forced to use the new search function exclusively, I would be quite disappointed.

Edited by Chief301

If you're trying to use the new search on the site, leave the first box blank and click on "Add Filters." You'll need to specify some geographical area, such as your state or the neighbouring state in the "Limit Search To..." box. (If you then specify a radius, it'll do a radius from the centre of that state.) Add other filters to narrow the search.

Or in the lower right corner pick the old search.

I do my PQ's a little different, as I also live in a fairly cache-poor area. Instead of trying to define an area X number of miles from my home location or a zip code or some other central point, I simply view the Geocaching map and sort of zone on on the area I'm interested in caching. I frame up the area I want within the map view and then select "Save As Pocket Query" on the left-hand menu. Viola, all the caches within the map view are saved as a PQ. I find this method much easier.

Of course, you're still limited to 1,000 caches. If you happen to have framed up an area with more than 1,000 caches in it, the PQ will start nearest the center of the view, so some of the most outlying ones may not be included.

If Groundspeak ever removes this method and I'm forced to use the new search function exclusively, I would be quite disappointed.

This method still produces a circle with the radius determined by the map centre. Useful, but not as good as a rectangular pattern would be.