Oregon 600 evaluations

Oregon 600 evaluations

After spending several hours setting up everything just right, I think I finally have it all set, and switching between profiles seems to work well enough.

Here's my thoughts of problems that I haven't found a solution for:

1) Setup>Appearance>Night Color> No Black. Black is missing. It should be here, but it's just not. Blue is dark enough that it's fine, but it's a small annoyance.

2) Can't EASILY turn on and off tracks. I've searched high and low for an easy way to turn on tracks, usually I don't want them on, but sometimes I do. Don't know.

3) I would like to hold the user button for a screenshot, but I just can't. It's not an option. If Screen Capture were an "app" then it would work, because I can assign the user button and app, but no, that would be too easy. The only way is with the main power button, but I want that for the brightness, so I can't have it on. But then even when it does make a screen shot, I don't know if it was successful, because it doesn't beep or flash or anything. I don't know if it's happened.

4) How do I manually add a Geocache? Sometimes I'll be out of town and have my GPS with me, and I'll use my phone and find that there's a geocache nearby, but I want to use my expensive Garmin to find it. I have the coordinates from the app on my phone, I can manually add a waypoint, give it the right coordinates, even give it the right icon, but it still is not considered a cache by the unit, I can't mark it found or anything. Any suggestions there?

5) On the profile for driving, I have automobile routing turned on, and sometimes the GPS forgets to auto route, it direct routes. I go back into Setup>Routing and Automobile is still selected though. I select it again, and all is fine. Weird though.

6) No speed limit data. I have that shown in the small data fields on the driving profiles, and in the trip computer sometimes, but it's always blank, even while navigating. It's just not there. I do have CNNA-NT though.

any thoughts on any of the 6 points would be awesome. Thanks

4) Darn. I used to do that all the time when I used a 60 CSx, back when geocaches were just waypoints, I could just change the icon to the closed treasure chest, and it would go to it, but it didn't have paperless or anything.

5) Garmin's City Navigator North America. It should be in there. Do I have to turn it on?

2. Can you explain a bit more? Are you talking about turning tracking on/off or displaying other tracks? You can turn tracking on/off (well, pause/start) with a user button assignment. If you want to show/hide a previously recorded or loaded track, go to your track manager, select the track and there's a little "switch" for displaying it on the map.

3. If you really want to have the screenshot enabled, move your brightness to one of the other button features. Brightness is found on the Status page.

6. Try using the Nuvi dashboard and see if the speed limit data shows up.

2) Well, years ago on my 60 CSx, tracks were either on or off, they always showed on the map. On my Oregon 450, you could set it to not record track, record them without showing on the map, or record with showing them on the map.

I think I want to turn them off completely, but then sometimes I will want to turn them on and show on the map. So I will need to be able to turn them on in a hurry.

3) That sucks that that is the only option. I hope Garmin is listening. (but I kinda doubt it)

6) I'll try it.

So, in the track manager, there is only Current track, which leads to some kind of graph, and then Archived Tracks, and it says No tracks have been archived. Then there's the thing in the lower right with 3 horizontal lines, and it has Spell Search, and Sort.

But there's just no on/off

2) Well, years ago on my 60 CSx, tracks were either on or off, they always showed on the map. On my Oregon 450, you could set it to not record track, record them without showing on the map, or record with showing them on the map.

I think I want to turn them off completely, but then sometimes I will want to turn them on and show on the map. So I will need to be able to turn them on in a hurry.

3) That sucks that that is the only option. I hope Garmin is listening. (but I kinda doubt it)

6) I'll try it.

Track Manager is for managing recorded tracks. What you're looking for will be in Setup/Tracks. That's where you'll find the record options.

>Depending on your phone, you might be able to use an 0TG cable to connect the phone and GPS. And download GPX files from the phone to the Garmin. I do this with a Samsung Galaxy and Garmin 64s.

It's an iPhone. I don't think they speak ANT+, and the Oregon only speaks that. But I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it.

Unfortunately, what I want is not in track manager. Guess I'll have to call Garmin Support on Monday.

5. Yes, it is turned on, and everything else off.

So, on further investigation, and trial and error, this software bug, and it is a software bug, where it forgets what routing setting to use,

1) happens on any map that is active, I have a few different ones, but I only keep one active at a time to reduce startup time.

2) only happens under external power, and does not happen under battery power.

3) Is fully reproducible, I have done this over and over again, and the same thing happens. Sometimes, I change one little setting, but it still happens.

I am using the latest version of the software for this device, I have made sure of that.

Edited by DukeOfURL01

After 45 minutes with Garmin TS, he figured it out to be the settings for the shortcut to Stop Navigation that I was using in the experiments, that I had placed on the main screen. It was set to direct. I don't know how I missed that. I guess I didn't know that the shortcuts had settings also. But it's fixed now! Boy that one was buried!

So for #4 , has anyone found a way to do this yet? I have tried to save a waypoint (Oregon 600) with the closed chest as well like I can on my 60csx to create a new cache and then just hit found once I find it and it just gets added to the found list. After about an hour of sitting in front of my dreaded laptop today I was FINALLY able to install the dagon garmin communicator plug in and load my very first paperless caches onto my new gps. Now, I usually use Firefox, but for some reason I can't install it on that browser so I had to dig out my IE file folder and open that up and it actually installed. I updated the software and decided to see if I could load some caches. I had never tried a PQ before and I still don't understand how that works but that's another topic; I went to download a few near by caches I hadn't logged yet and it gave me two options to save them to the gps. Option one was for the gps itself and option two was for the mass storage device which is the little 16gb microsd card I put in. Is the a setting to set it up to automatically save to the memory card or should I just start my own thread? Haha

Sometimes it remembers your last used preference, but generally you have to specify in the drop down list which location you want to install the cache. Granted, this is where pocket queries are a little easier in that you don't use the garmin communicator plugin at all but rather download the (zipped) gpx file containing all of the caches that match your query. Once unzipped, you install it manually like you were moving it to a thumb drive, except it'll be on your GPS or SD card.