Gah! I can't figure out the new method for posting a puzzle cache

So it used to be I'd just fill in the blanks for a cache page. It was all there, I'd just fill everything in. Now that's all changed. I have to take it step by step. They wanted the coordinates for the first stage and I typed them in. They said they didn't understand the coordinates. So what am I supposed to do?

This puzzle has several stages. I'm still working out the details and don't quite have all the coordinates for every stage. I used to put them on a cache page because I was told that might help to hold that area while I work on the cache. Nothing worse than having someone toss a cache out near where you are trying to get permission for all the locations for a multi cache with puzzles, especially since the location is essential to the cache placement. It ruins a lot of hard work, but I'm not even sure I can type up a cache I'm working on anymore.

Yes, you can still "reserve a spot" for a reasonable period of time while you are working on a cache.

The Cache Submission Form was changed awhile back to force the inclusion of at least the Final Location waypoint for a puzzle cache, in addition to the posted "bogus" coordinates. But for a reservation, you could make both locations the same and edit later. You could also add as many Additional Waypoints as you'd like, as and when you identify locations that will become physical elements of your cache.

Not sure what trouble you ran into with coordinate format, as you didn't save a page, but if you explain more what you were trying to input, folks will be happy to help.

Where they wanted me to list the coordinates for the first stage I typed in N42.27.296 W075.03.899 (not real-just an example). It said it didn't understand this and didn't give any example of how to do it.

You have got an extra period between the degrees and decimal minutes.

Instead of this: N42.27.296 W075.03.899

Try this: N42 27.296 W075 03.899

OK I got past the "list stages page" without problems and up to where I write the description for the cache. After jumping through some hoops I was able to paste the instructions I had previously typed up into the box. (Could the fact that I'm using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer be causing problems. I've found some things don't work 100 percent with Firefox.) I pushed the symbol for a bar to be inserted in my text thinking it was for line spacing. I couldn't get rid of the bar. Then I did...when everything disappeared. I was discouraged so I typed in some nonsense that I figured I'd edit later. I just wanted to get to the part where I created a cache page and edit it from there. I got through the size and ratings and came to the reviewer message page. I pushed save and preview and... nothing. I typed in "where do I edit this page", pushed save and preview and...still nothing. Everything I did seems to be there when I go back to the hide a cache page, but it's not listed as a cache in progress in my profile like they used to be with the old system. I suspect if I turn off the computer everything will disappear or I won't know how to find it.

I pushed save and preview and... nothing. I typed in "where do I edit this page", pushed save and preview and...still nothing. Everything I did seems to be there when I go back to the hide a cache page, but it's not listed as a cache in progress in my profile like they used to be with the old system. I suspect if I turn off the computer everything will disappear or I won't know how to find it.

If you did, in fact, save it, then you should be able to go back to your (private) Profile page and see it listed near the top of the page. Immediately below the "Your Profile" main heading should be a "Your Unpublished Disabled Caches" sub-heading with a list of linked titles of your listing pages that are waiting to be edited and submitted for review/publication.

Have you ticked the 2 boxes saying yes you agree their terms and yes you've read the guidelines?

If so then sometimes if you scroll up you can see where it thinks you've missed something.

You also have to include a reviewer note before you can move on. I just usually include a '.' just to get beyond that box.

I put the information I had for my cache through the new system. I haven't quite got all the info I need. I will have to edit it. What I don't see that I used to see on the old form is that little box that you check to say whether or not your cache is in place. My caches are not in place. How does the reviewer know I'm not ready to have it published?

I got through the form and came to the part about the reviewer notes and after that there is a button that you click that says save and preview. I click it and nothing happens. Aren't I supposed to be able to see my cache page so I can preview it? The directions also say my unpublished cache will be in my profile. There is nothing there. Before the change in methods for posting I used to be able to see a listing for my unpublished caches in my profile.

Could the fact that I am using firefox instead of internet explorer be causing problems?

This new method seems to save my cache as a draft. How the heck do I get it to where I can eventually publish it?

Edited by Luckless

You will see it on your profile once it has saved as an unpublished cache.

So you must have missed something on that last page - usually for me it's ticking the 2 boxes to say I hve read guidelines etc

If you don't complete it in a certain amount of time it resets though.

Don't worry about filling in the short and long descriptions for now, edit those once you get the draft cache page showing in your profile.

It won't be set for publishing until you tick the box saying it is and/or sumbit it for review.

So you can carry on editing it etc once you've got the draft saved.

If in doubt just add a reviewer note saying you are working on it still and not to publish yet.

I know that. It doesn't do anything when I press save and preview. It does save it as a draft that I'm working on so I don't lose anything, but it won't save it as a webpage. I wonder about using firefox as my web browser- I cut and pasted some of the information into the cache description. When I did that it said something about security and that my web browser wouldn't allow me to do that. Then it opened a small window for me to paste the information into ( it also said to use the keyboard ctrl-x- but I didn't need to do that). I know on other webpages I've been to I sometimes have to switch to internet explorer because certain functions don't work with firefox.

I merged two related threads together.

To the OP, you have not yet succeeded in saving a cache page.

You don't say which versions of Firefox or IE you are using.

For problems with IE, "Compatibility View Settings" issues have been around for a while. Enough of a problem that there is a Help Center article:

Help Center → Other → Miscellaneous → Issues with Internet Explorer 11

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=457

6.19. Issues with Internet Explorer 11

If you are experiencing difficulties using the Send to GPS plugin, please take the following steps.

If you are experiencing other issues in the IE 11 browser, this may be helpful to you as well.

We have identified some compatibility issues between Internet Explorer and Geocaching.com. We are working to address these, but in the meantime you can take some steps to ensure that you have the optimal view of our site through IE.

1. Go to your Tools menu.

2. Click "Compatibility View Settings" and insert geocaching.com under "Add this Website:".

3. Click "Add"

4. Click "Close".

Alternatively, you can access Geocaching.com through a different browser, such as Firefox or Chrome.

I've been thinking that it would be nice if Groundspeak created an illustrated tutorial for the cache submission form. They've done lots of such things for the phone apps, etc, so I think a cache submission form tutorial would be a basic, expected thing.

B.

I just tried to save it with internet explorer and that didn't make any difference. I still can't seem to save anything to my profile. I guess I'm going to have to stop hiding caches.

While I still prefer the old cache submission form over the new step-by-step mode, it is obviously working for most people. I'm still seeing many caches, puzzle and other types, published each day. Not sure yet what is going wrong for you, but it seems rather obvious that it is just happening to you, so please work with those that are trying to help.

This may be a bit too obvious, but when you check the boxes and hit submit, do you see any red text anywhere on the page that would indicate an error?

For whatever it's worth: Firefox is the browser of choice for Community Volunteer Reviewers, who can be considered "power users" of the website both as players and in their reviewer duties. We see personally, and hear complaints from geocachers about, many more problems with Internet Explorer than with Firefox. I would suggest concentrating on getting your problem solved in Firefox, by taking the steps knowschad suggested in his post above. If that doesn't work, try taking screen captures to post here.

One of the reviewers was kind enough to send me an unpublished cache page to which I am adding my data to use for my cache. So for now that is working.

I don't know why the new method wouldn't accept my cache. It only showed one box (not 2 like some people mention above) to check to indicate that I read Groundspeak's disclaimers. There were no red notices. It moved on to the next page and there were no red notices when I clicked that either, it just didn't do anything, but as I said I am able to use the unpublished cache page so all seems to be good.

There really was nothing to indicate I had a problem other than it just stopped working and wouldn't make a webpage. Perhaps if I had removed all the data I had entered (aka the saved draft)from the new method and started over fresh it would have made a difference. I don't know. I'll find out next time when I try to make another cache using that method.

One feature that I do like with the new method is the map with the red circles showing all the areas not to place a cache and also the fact that you can list waypoints as virtuals or physicals.

Edited by Luckless

One of the reviewers was kind enough to send me an unpublished cache page to which I am adding my data to use for my cache. So for now that is working.

I don't know why the new method wouldn't accept my cache. It only showed one box (not 2 like some people mention above) to check to indicate that I read Groundspeak's disclaimers. There were no red notices. It moved on to the next page and there were no red notices when I clicked that either, it just didn't do anything, but as I said I am able to use the unpublished cache page so all seems to be good.

There really was nothing to indicate I had a problem other than it just stopped working and wouldn't make a webpage. Perhaps if I had removed all the data I had entered (aka the saved draft)from the new method and started over fresh it would have made a difference. I don't know. I'll find out next time when I try to make another cache using that method.

One feature that I do like with the new method is the map with the red circles showing all the areas not to place a cache and also the fact that you can list waypoints as virtuals or physicals.

I'll bet you had a corrupted copy of the page in your browser's cache! Anyway, glad you've got it working now.

Remember that the map does not show the final coords for mysteries, nor physical stages of multi-caches. But yeah, it is nice.

I'll bet you had a corrupted copy of the page in your browser's cache! Anyway, glad you've got it working now.

Remember that the map does not show the final coords for mysteries, nor physical stages of multi-caches. But yeah, it is nice.

I'll venture a guess that this was the case as well.

Glad it's working!