Western PA Spring Get together??

Dr.Don

As a neebie, I would like to talk with other cachers. Anyone planning a Spring meeting? I am willing to help. I could get a room at Slippery Rock university but I think the Lake Arthur area would be ideal. I have developed a powerpoint and overhead presentation for local groups/organizations. I've had so much fun I want to share the experience. How can I get a list of geo-cachers in Western PA so I could plan a meeting to share ideas?

I'd do a search on the caches that are closest to your home coordinates, and then look at the on-line logs of those caches. When you see the same name logging finds again-and-again month-after-month in your area, it's a safe bet they live nearby (unless it's CCCoopersAgency, they live in Harrisonburg I think). Then send them an e-mail through their profile.

Or you could just post a message on this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

"I'm jumbled up. Maybe I'm losing my touch." - Echo and the Bunnymen

Posting here in the forums is a good start. Those of us who are interested in caching in western PA (even if we're in NE Ohio) will spot it, and hopefully the news will spiral out and you'll find the interested folks.

I'm intending to take a caching trip in Moraine this spring, and have always wanted to hit the ones on Presque Isle also.

There is a core of experienced cachers in both Pittsburgh (I'm sure Lep will speak up soon), and in Erie, so hopefully something will come out of it...

icon_smile.gif

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

As Lep has already mentioned in a response to your other post, he has expressed an interest in hosting an event geocache somewhere in the Pittsburgh area sometime in the spring. This does not mean that you cannot hold an event geocache of your own up SRU way especially if you can arrange to have it indoors while the weather is just too cold and unpredictable for a picnic thing. I think that you may also get a few cachers from the Youngstown and Erie areas at a Moraine or Slippery Rock location.

We have had two event geocaches so far in the Pittsburgh area:

Porter's Cove Picnic

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19318

Quest Master's Geocaching Picnic

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37021

The respose to my event geocache was borderline overwhelming so be prepared for that and by all means offer and/or accept assistance from fellow geocachers if you plan on attending or hosting one of these things.

Johnny

If you do arrange an event cache, once you decide on a time & place and have the event posted, the cachers will most surely find you. It's kind of a backward way to do it, especially if you're trying to anticipate turnout, but as far as getting the word out about an event, 'have it and they will come'... or something like that.

------------------------------

You are your own worst food

Bob Tail and I are discussing forming a Gps club and Gps course around Moraine Park.

The intent is to instruct newbies and interested people in the use of GPS's and to promote the Geocaching Sport.

The will be at least two Gps courses setup with patches and other items for completing each course.

One course can be completed in a few hours while the other course may take a day or two to complete.

We also talked about a Newsletter, planned meetings,etc including local news coverage.

REMEMBER!! This is still in the planning stage!!

We need anyone willing to instruct and interested to contact us!

I would prefer that you contact me, and I can build a list and submit it to MR. Tait.

(He has many projects he is working on)

I will post a new topic on this subject also. Paul

My dad works at SRU over in Computing Services (or Administrative Information Systems, whatever it's called now).

I'd be interested in coming back to PA for a geocacher get together sometime. Count me in!

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.