Deleting preloaded geocaches from Garmin GPSMap 64s

I tried deleting the GPX files from the GPS from /garmin/gpx to no avail. It still lists all of the preloaded caches that came with the device. Does anyone have an experience with this or have tried to delete preloaded caches. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I tried deleting the GPX files from the GPS from /garmin/gpx to no avail. It still lists all of the preloaded caches that came with the device. Does anyone have an experience with this or have tried to delete preloaded caches. Thanks for any help you can give me.

They are "GGZ" files in /GARMIN/GGZ. See if this helps: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=323430&view=findpost&p=5394402

Edited by kunarion

They are "GGZ" files in /GARMIN/GGZ. See if this helps: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=323430&view=findpost&p=5394402

I deleted the .GGZ files but it still lists the preloaded geocaches... I wonder why?

I deleted the .GGZ files but it still lists the preloaded geocaches... I wonder why?

Here's a link I to a thread on the subject. I somehow linked a completely different one: My Link

Edited by kunarion

Are you using a Mac? If so, after deleting the file you need to empty the trash can to completely remove the file.

No, I'm on a Dell... Now that I deleted the .GGZ files if I look at the description for any of the preloaded geocaches or the "hint" page, the screen just goes blank. So by deleting the .ggz files it did delete some of the data, but not any of the preloaded geocache entries.

There may be more to do.

From this post:

"When you want to load a new file, do these steps:

1. Plug GPS to computer, and delete old GPX or GGZ file(s).

2. Unplug GPS, and boot it and it will clear it's memory.

3. Plug GPS to computer, and install new GPX or GGZ file(s).

4. Unplug GPS, and boot it and it will read new file(s).

I started doing this "double-clutching" with my 62s a year ago and then I never had any problems any more. I continue to do this with my new 64s because it's a habit. Only takes a few extra seconds while sitting at my desk, and saves grief while I'm out on the trail. "

Edited by kunarion

Ok that sounds good. But where can I find a new .GGZ file, or do I just need to load new a new .GPX file with GSAK?

Take a look at that thread. It has info about this issue with the GPSMap and GSAK. Maybe you can get it all straightened out. I think they mean that you can now use GPX as usual. Good luck!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=322827&view=findpost&p=5386573

Edited by kunarion