PA STATE Natural and Wilderness regions

retphoto

Ok FOlks....I just stopped in at a District Office to get Approval for a new cache..

While there I was informed that as of MAY 1st all caches that have NOT been Approved should be removed, and that NO Caches should be in a ANY designated natural or Wilderness area.

Thought I would pass the word on this. BTW I would like the log books on all removed caches along with the ON_line logs of the same. I want to see if I can submit to someone to SHOW how much inpact geocaching does have.

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

Thanks for the notice, geo-Packrat.

Could you please give me some idea of where PA natural and wilderness regions are, specifically?

Are they NOT part of the DCNR lands (state parks and state forests)?

Is there a website that explains what and where these places are?

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

They are selected areas inside of state Forests. Such as the Hook Natural area where the Hook Challenge is located. The Hook Natural area is Marked on regional DCNR maps.

The Placer for that cache had Permission to place Hook Challenge from a local park ranger, But I hear today from the District Forestry Office that, That cache shouldn't be there.

I have an appointment with that park ranger on the 7th of June. and I'm going to check on who has control over that area. And maybe we can recuit the Park Ranger on our behalf to keep the Hook Challenge in Place.

Robert

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

From the Pennsylvania DCNR webpage on geocaching:

quote:
The cache may not be placed within Natural Areas, Penn Nursery perimeter fence, seed orchards, or Wild Plant Sanctuaries, or on stream banks, riparian zones, wetlands, prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, exemplary natural communities, ecologically sensitive areas, unique geological features, dam structures, or unsafe areas. You must contact the Park Manager / District Forester for possible additional restrictions or questions concerning the proposed location.
So, yes, the officially designated natural areas are off-limits, by definition. There are 61 designated Natural Areas and 14 Wild Areas located on state forest land. I have a DCNR publication that I look at when approving new cache placements. If I get some time, I will try to post a list or something. A "wild area" is not prohibited outright under the policy but I guess saying no to a cache in one of these areas is within the discretion of the District Forester... it could be an "exemplary natural community" or "ecologically sensitive area."

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

Thanks, Geo-Packrat, for raising the question. And Bubbles / Keystone Approver, thanks for the info. Do you have any contacts with DCNR, who you could talk to about the State Forests? After my own dealings with several state parks, and hearing stories from Geo-Packrat and others about state forests, I've concluded that the parks are quite a bit more receptive to geocaching than the state forests. I find that odd.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I belive that natural areas in State Parks and natual areas in State Forests are different animals. Certain activities such as camping, hunting, picniking, etc. are closely regulated or prohibited in State Park Natural Areas. The rules and regs for natural and wild areas in state forests are less restrictive. Hunting, fishing, and even overnight camping are permitted in these places. I would think that geocaching should be allowed in SF natural and wild areas but one should check with a ranger first about specific locations. There are likely to be more places in these areas where geocaches will not be welcome.

Johnny

Quest Master is correct; the terms mean different things in State Forests vs. State Parks. As promised above, I am writing to give everyone more info on the State FOREST natural areas and wild areas. A cache probably won't be permitted in a natural area, and getting a permit for a cache in a wild area could depend on the mood of the forest ranger.

Here is the DCNR's definition of a Natural Area:

quote:
A Natural Area is defined as an area of unique scenic, historic, geologic or ecological value which will be maintained in a natural condition by allowing physical and biological processes to operate, usually without direct human intervention. These areas are set aside to provide locations for scientific observation of natural systems, to protect examples of typical and unique plant and animal communities, and to protect outstanding examples of natural interest and beauty. The guidelines governing the administration of Natural Areas are:

(1) No human habitation is permitted except primitive-type backpack camping in designated areas only.

(2) Access for all but essential administrative activities is restricted to foot trails and non-motorized watercraft, except in designated areas.

(3) Buildings and other improvements are restricted to the minimum required for public health, safety and interpretive aids.

(4) Timber harvesting is not permitted except to maintain public safety.

(5) Leases and mineral development are prohibited.

Here is the DCNR's definition of a Wild Area:

quote:
A Wild Area is defined as an extensive area which the general public will be permitted to see, use and enjoy for such activities as hiking, hunting, fishing and the pursuit of peace and solitude. No development of a permanent nature will be permitted to retain the undeveloped character of the area. These areas will be administered according to the principals of forest protection and management applied to Bureau-managed lands with the following restrictions:

(1) Campsite leases will be prohibited.

(2) No new public access roads will be constructed. Existing roads will remain open only where there is a public need. All unauthorized motorized conveyances or vehicles will be prohibited with the exception of licensed vehicles which may be operated only on open public roads [i.e., no ATV's or dirt bikes]

(3) Forest trail use will be restricted to foot travel, horseback riding, and bicycling. People with disabilities in wheelchairs, or operating any other electrically powered vehicles adapted for this use, are permitted on designated trails.

(4) Buildings and other improvements will be restricted to the minimum required for public health, safety and interpretive aids.

(5) Leases, mineral development and new rights-of-way will be prohibited; [...]

(6) Overnight camping will be limited to the backpack primitive type.

I hope that this information is helpful to everyone in understanding the terminology that applies to the different State Forest Management designations.

Here is a list of the 61 State Forest Natural Areas:

SOUTHEAST PA

Valley Forge State Forest

Goat Hill Serpentine Barrens, Chester Co.

David R. Johnson, Bucks Co.

Little Tinicum Island, Delaware Co.

Ruth Zimmerman, Berks Co.

SOUTHCENTRAL PA

Weiser State Forest

Sheets Island Archipelago, Dauphin Co.

Michaux State Forest

Beartown Woods, Franklin Co.

Carbaugh Run, Adams Co.

Meeting of the Pines, Franklin Co.

Mt. Cydonia Ponds, Franklin Co.

Buchanan State Forest

Pine Ridge, Bedford Co.

Sweet Root, Bedford Co.

Tuscarora State Forest

Box Huckleberry, Perry Co.

Frank E. Masland, Jr., Perry Co.

The Hemlocks, Perry Co.

SOUTHWEST PA

Forbes State Forest

Mt. Davis, Somerset Co.

Roaring Run, Westmoreland Co.

CENTRAL PA

Rothrock State Forest

Alan Seeger, Huntingdon Co.

Bear Meadows, Centre Co.

Big Flat Laurel, Huntingdon/Centre Co's.

Detweiler Run, Huntingdon Co.

Little Juniata, Huntingdon Co.

Rocky Ridge, Huntingdon Co.

Gallitzin State Forest

Charles F. Lewis, Indiana Co.

Bald Eagle State Forest

Bear Run, Centre Co.

Halfway Run, Union Co.

The Hook, Union Co.

Joyce Kilmer, Union Co.

Mt. Logan, Clinton Co.

Rosecrans Bog, Clinton Co.

Snyder-Middleswarth, Snyder Co.

Tall Timbers, Snyder Co.

Moshannon State Forest

Marion Brooks, Elk Co.

NORTHEAST PA

Lackawanna State Forest

Spruce Swamp, Lackawanna Co.

Delaware State Forest

Bruce Lake, Pike Co.

Buckhorn, Pike Co.

Little Mud Pond Swamp, Pike Co.

Pennel Run, Pike Co.

Stillwater, Pike Co.

Wyoming State Forest

Jakey Hollow, Columbia Co.

Tamarack Run, Sullivan Co.

Kettle Creek Gorge, Sullivan Co.

NORTHCENTRAL PA

Tiadaghton State Forest

Algerine Swamp, Lycoming Co.

Bark Cabin, Lycoming Co.

Devil's Elbow, Lycoming Co.

Lebo Red Pine, Lycoming Co.

Miller Run, Lycoming Co.

Torbert Island, Lycoming Co.

Sproul State Forest

Cranberry Swamp, Clinton Co.

East Branch Swamp, Clinton Co.

Tamarack Swamp, Clinton Co.

Sproul and Elk State Forests

Bucktail State Park, Clinton and Cameron Co's.

Elk State Forest

Johnson Run, Cameron County

Lower Jerry Run, Cameron & Clinton Co's.

Pine Tree Trail, Elk Co.

M.K. Goddard/Wykoff Run, Cameron Co.

Susquehannock State Forest

Forrest H. Dutlinger, Clinton Co.

Tioga State Forest

Black Ash Swamp, Tioga County

Pine Creek Gorge, Tioga County

Reynolds Spring, Tioga County

NORTHWEST PA

Cornplanter State Forest

Anders Run, Warren Co.

Here is a list of the 14 current and two proposed Wild Areas in PA State Forests:

• Buchanan State Forest, Martin Hill, Bedford Co.

• Tuscarora State Forest, Tuscarora, Perry & Juniata Co's.

• Rothrock State Forest, Thickhead Mountain, Centre and Huntingdon Co's.

• Rothrock State Forest, Trough Creek, Huntingdon Co.

• Gallitzin State Forest, Clear Shade, Somerset County

• Bald Eagle State Forest, White Mountain, Union Co.

• Elk and Moshannon State Forests, Quehanna, corner of Elk, Cameron and Clearfield Co's.

• Sproul State Forest, Burn's Run, Clinton Co.

• Sproul State Forest, Fish Dam, Clinton Co.

• Tiadaghton State Forest, Algerine, Lycoming Co.

• Tiadaghton State Forest, Wolf Run, Lycoming Co.

• Tiadaghton State Forest, McIntyre, Lycoming Co.

• Tioga State Forest, Asaph, Tioga Co.

• Wyoming State Forest, Kettle Creek, Sullivan Co.

• PROPOSED: Forbes State Forest, Quebec Run, Fayette Co.

• PROPOSED: Susquehannock State Forest, Hammersley, Potter & Clinton Co's.

I am just bumping this topic as we approach the spring and summer "hiding season" and because many new geocachers have joined our ranks. Please steer clear of designated natural areas or wild areas when planning cache hides in Pennsylvania state parks and state forests. In all likelihood, DCNR will not issue a permit to you, and I won't approve the cache for listing unless it has a DCNR permit.

I know that the david johnston natural area is a hunting only area, that means no hiking ,biking,birding or other activities. there is only a sign and board for the area rules. I know this because part of a multi-cache will be in the area shortly. I was going to use this area until I read the rules board.

Keystone,

I just noticed that the links to the geocaching guidelines on my cache pages and on the TRI-GO website are no longer valid. It looks like the DCNR has a new website and I am unable to locate this important piece of information with their site search. Can you find out where the guidelines went? With any luck at all, they went out with the old website. :huh:

Also, I do not think that State Forest Wild Areas should be confused with "wilderness" areas. They are not "wilderness" and are not managed as such. They do permit hunting, off-trail hiking, and even timber cutting in these "Wild Areas". They may allow geocaching or not. I would try hiding a cache in a Wild Area but I probably wouldn't live long enough to get a permit.

Quest Master,

The DCNR's geocaching page can be found at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/geocaching.aspx . They converted their website to a new platform, much like Jeremy is doing here at GC.com. The correct link can be found on my profile page, too.

You are right, of course, about wild areas. They are a grey area since they are not directly named in the regulations as being off-limits. Folks interested in placing a cache in a wild area should check first with the District Forester to see if a permit will be issued. Some are more pro-geocaching than others.

Keystone, Is there any official state policy on placing caches in state game lands? We have only one semi-maintained county park with no real hiking trails. We do have many state game lands around that do have trails and roads. Or are these places of no real interest (such as a waterfall, overlook, playgrounds, etc.), just woods full of trees? Just curious.

PeachyPA

Punxsutawney