Logging old Finds

So, I have a few finds from a year or so ago, back when I used a shared account with some friends to find caches. The logbooks are still probably signed with that name, but now I have my own account.

Is it allowed to log the caches as Found in my account, even though it was a while ago in a different name, or will I need to go back to them and re-sign the book for it to count? I ask as, now that I know where they are, it isn't much of a challenge to find them any more!

Ps. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum/been asked before :D

So, I have a few finds from a year or so ago, back when I used a shared account with some friends to find caches. The logbooks are still probably signed with that name, but now I have my own account.

Is it allowed to log the caches as Found in my account, even though it was a while ago in a different name, or will I need to go back to them and re-sign the book for it to count? I ask as, now that I know where they are, it isn't much of a challenge to find them any more!

Yeah, this gets asked now and again, but there are always new people who might read the answers.

It is perfectly fine for you to log these caches online now; it is a good idea to write in your log who you found the cache with and/or what name was signed on the logbook. Also be sure to correct the date of your online log to match the date you actually found the cache.

Yeah, this gets asked now and again, but there are always new people who might read the answers.

It is perfectly fine for you to log these caches online now; it is a good idea to write in your log who you found the cache with and/or what name was signed on the logbook. Also be sure to correct the date of your online log to match the date you actually found the cache.

NanCycle's last comment is especially important. There have been numerous threads here over the years with people asking "This geocacher logged dozens of finds thousands of miles apart on the same day, how can that be?" or words to that effect. By logging on the date you actually found each cache, as cumbersome as that may be, you should avoid most questions about legitimacy.

Suancycle is 2000+ caches in arrears with logging found caches. I doubt she will catch up but when we cache together I try to mention that in my log in case she decides otherwise.

(Sorry, I'm required to make this comment every time this comes up...)

So as you've already heard, it's allowed, just set the date to the actual date found. But personally, I would leave the joint finds in the past and only log new finds on my personal account. The way I see it, that team was one phase of my geocaching life, and now my personal account is my next phase. It's a historical fact that the two phases are different, so there's no reason to relog the other finds as if they also belonged to this new phase.

In addition to just seeming logical to me, I also ask myself what I'd put in the log. That's when I realize there's really nothing anyone would be interested in to put in the log when I relogged them -- especially if I put the exact same thing in hundreds of logs -- so why bother making the log?

Furthermore, if I don't relog, then if I feel like it, I can go back and enjoying the caches again by finding them as my new handle.

As I say, you don't have to look at it that way, but it's another way to consider looking at it.

It's always a good idea to include a sentence to clarify what you are doing, especially if you're back-logging caches that are now archived. About three years ago there was what appeared to be a rash of fake logs by an account nobody in my area had heard of - the logs contained nothing but a 0 and had weird dates. I don't have patience for shenanigans and I deleted the logs, as did many others. It turned out it was someone's spouse trying to start a separate account. It would have been just as easy to paste a sentence into the logs, and it wouldn't have irritated so many people.

It's always a good idea to include a sentence to clarify what you are doing, especially if you're back-logging caches that are now archived. About three years ago there was what appeared to be a rash of fake logs by an account nobody in my area had heard of - the logs contained nothing but a 0 and had weird dates. I don't have patience for shenanigans and I deleted the logs, as did many others. It turned out it was someone's spouse trying to start a separate account. It would have been just as easy to paste a sentence into the logs, and it wouldn't have irritated so many people.

It's even easier to say to yourself "and here's where I started logging caches under my own handle..." and not bother yourself or anyone else with anything.