PETITION: Bring Back the Old Search!

hypocorism

The old search worked well. The ‘new search’ is NOT an improvement, but a step backwards. Why did we lose the capability to EASILY search worldwide by key word? Why do archived caches no longer show up? The ‘new search’ should make searches easier and should at least include these features. An upgrade should give us more capabilities, not less. PLEASE tweak the ‘new search’ do so; it can’t be that difficult since it was already possible before.

Am I alone in thinking this?

The old search worked well. The ‘new search’ is NOT an improvement, but a step backwards. Why did we lose the capability to EASILY search worldwide by key word? Why do archived caches no longer show up? The ‘new search’ should make searches easier and should at least include these features. An upgrade should give us more capabilities, not less. PLEASE tweak the ‘new search’ do so; it can’t be that difficult since it was already possible before.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I don't recall archived caches showing up in the old search function. The only to find archived caches was if you knew the name of the cache owner, or the names of cachers who had found it in the past, or if you checked your profile.

The old search function garnered a lot of unhappiness when the "Search by cache name" got decimated.

There are a lot of threads about the new search function, and they are scattered all over the forums. I'm not sure why more people didn't take advantage of the "sneak peek" and tested it out back in January.

And the "How Do I" forum doesn't seem to be the appropriate place for a "petition" thread.

Seems like it should be in this forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=139

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

There are a lot of threads about the new search function, and they are scattered all over the forums. I'm not sure why more people didn't take advantage of the "sneak peek" and tested it out back in January.

There was ZERO indication said "sneak Peek" would be anything other than OPTIONAL. I choose to not waste any time on it. It seems the greatest majority of tester suggestions fell on deaf ears anyhow. So what is your point?

One of my suggestions during beta testing was implemented prior to the first release. And another was given favorable consideration for a future update. I also expressed my desire for the search radius to be greater than 30 miles, as did many others -- and Geocaching HQ said they are hoping to do that.

So what is your point?

One of my suggestions during beta testing was implemented prior to the first release. And another was given favorable consideration for a future update. I also expressed my desire for the search radius to be greater than 30 miles, as did many others -- and Geocaching HQ said they are hoping to do that.

So what is your point?

Yeah, but that's you not mere mortals like the rest of us :D

Edited by BC & MsKitty

There was ZERO indication said "sneak Peek" would be anything other than OPTIONAL. I choose to not waste any time on it. It seems the greatest majority of tester suggestions fell on deaf ears anyhow. So what is your point?

So what? Spend time and resources putting out a sneak peek without any intention to implement it?

You must have interpreted the announcement differently than I did. I got no feeling of anything "being optional" at all. It was pretty clearly stated that there was going to be a new, re-tooled search function.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329410

Then later, the email was sent out, asking for folks to complete a survey, to provide feedback on the new search.

Lots of opportunity to try it out and provide feedback. How often do we yell when GS changes things, without any consultation of its members? And now they finally do it, and give the members what I consider lots of time to try it out and provide feedback, the members still complain.

No testing, no feedback was your choice.

B.

I did, but I didn't believe we will really lose the download capability. I even hoped for a .gpx download instead or in addition to the .loc download.

Is there something like a feature budget so that for every new feature we lose an old feature?

I'm finding the new search a bit confusing to use too. I personally found the old search easier to use but I'm sure I'll get used to the new version eventually! :laughing:

It certainly seems to have some new capabilities with the search filters, the only thing I don't really like is how the cache listing results take up the whole of the screen to display. I found the old method of displaying the results easier to understand and it looked neater in my opinion.

I also preferred the page selection at the bottom of the screen compared to the new method where you just keep scrolling down and have to wait for it to load.

Anyway I'm sure it will continue to be improved and it is still fine to use once you get used to it. :lol:

I tend to use the maps function more than the actual search anyway as I can see the location of the cache, and then have a look at the cache listing! The maps function is the main reason I keep paying for the Premium member account, apart from supporting the game of course! :)

Just my thoughts on it anyway. :laughing: