Weird Pi Day Event

I'm doing a talk this week on geocaching and was looking to update how many countries have geocaches in them now (answer: all but 3! Solomon Islands, Central African Republic, and North Korea), and spotted this eventin Somalia. Well not really in Somalia, the coords are off the coast of Somalia. And apparently you got the real coordinates just before the event, and the few people who logged it did so after logging geocaches in Oman (which is close on a map, but still hundreds of miles away type thing).

So, armchair loggers who really wanted Somalia on their stats page? Or did someone actually rent a boat from Oman and navigate pirate-infested waters? :ph34r:

I'd better ask, why the reviewer has published it, when it was more than obvious, that those 'events' are to be coach-logged?

As for why people are doing it, I think the answer is also more than obvious. Unfortunatelly, the events has much more potential to be misused since it is not frowned upon to log you own...

It's allowed to make caches on the moon, so let's wait for an event there.

Reading the archived reviewer notes between the owner and reviewer, there was an extensive pre-publication dialogue about the event location and other listing guideline issues. The reviewer published the listing after the owner represented that participants would be tying up their boats together at the posted coordinates.

Of course, reviewers have no rights to require proof that someone is really going there. And the event host and 'attenders' aren't required to add credibility to such logs with adding some pictures, for example.

But isn't making fake events and giving false information to reviewer a violation of terms of use?

Of course, reviewers have no rights to require proof that someone is really going there. And the event host and 'attenders' aren't required to add credibility to such logs with adding some pictures, for example.

But isn't making fake events and giving false information to reviewer a violation of terms of use?

i have no pictures of any of the three events i attended this weekend. i also am not in any pictures taken by others that i am aware of.

does that mean i don't have enough credibility to make an attended log?

ohz noEs!$!$#$##@%!!!!

i have no pictures of any of the three events i attended this weekend. i also am not in any pictures taken by others that i am aware of.

ohz noEs!$!$#$##@%!!!!

Don't turn the cat with its tail, or whatever :D

It's quite obvious such events are made for virtual logs. It's so obvious that anyone who really attended such events would add photo. And people who make events, or visit caches in exotic places normally make photos as well.

ohz noEs!$!$#$##@%!!!!

Nobody is going to question that you attended an event located in your own town.

The "alledged" event was in a country with only two other caches in the entire country. Those two caches have a total of 6 finds so having "Somalia" listed as a country in which someone found a cache is extremely rare.

The *published* location of this event was 5 miles off shore and the nearest road and a place where one could launch a boat was over 20 miles away. The event listing has the following: "The exact location might be subject of some changes due to unpredicted curcuimstances. New information will be announced in the logs." No new information was announced in the logs. I got a "fiver" that sez, that the "exact location" was somewhere in Sweden.

The three "attended" logs were from cachers from Sweden and the Netherlands that appear to have done some geocaching together in Northern Oman two weeks earlier.

According to Keystone, "The reviewer published the listing after the owner represented that participants would be tying up their boats together at the posted coordinates." The three attended alledgedly had found some caches in Oman two weeks earlier, and someone they were able to convince the reviewer that they'd be taking separate boats to some spot 5 miles off the coast of Somalia?

I'm with GeoLog81 on this one. I suspect that while the "attendees" came up with this bright idea a few weeks ago when they were caching together and flat out lied to a reviewer in order to get it published.

Let's see a photo or it never happened.