Adding a picture correctly!

GPS-Hermit

Trying to learn how to correctly post a picture to the Photography forum. When I attached the JPG a thumnail icon appears and must be clicked on to see the picture. Other folks seem to have the picture showing without the icon. What am I doing wrong! I just want the picture to show in the post without any additional effort on the viewers part! My pictures are on a sd card in my desktop! Any help is greatly appreciated!

You can't do it that way- you have to upload a picture to a website-Facebook, Flickr, or even from a cache page. Then use the URL.

Edit to add;

Maybe I should be more specific. When making a thread, or replying to one, above the text box there are a few buttons bold, italics, etc. You want the one that looks like a picture of the tree- it's between the chain (add a link) and the envelope (insert email adress) click it and in the box is where you put the URL

Edited by T.D.M.22
When I attached the JPG a thumnail icon appears and must be clicked on to see the picture. Other folks seem to have the picture showing without the icon. What am I doing wrong! I just want the picture to show in the post without any additional effort on the viewers part!

One simple way is to upload the photos to your own cache page, and paste each photo's URL into the "Insert Image" icon in your forum reply. To avoid confusing cachers, I upload the occasional odd photo to one of my archived caches.

But if you upload in the Photos section as an attachment, you can then Insert Image much the same way. Upload a photo, right-click its thumbnail image, and you will see a URL. If, for example, the thumbnail's URL is:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-7976698-079894000%201422727200_thumb.jpg

... remove the only the "_thumb" portion, so it's like this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-7976698-079894000%201422727200.jpg

Use that URL in the Insert Image form, and the thumbnail remains, but viewers don't have to click the thumbnail. This technique has the advantage of having the photo's file in the same place as the forum itself, so it's more likely to be viewable, than if you uploaded it to another site.

Thanks for asking! I once tried to display a thumbnail, and gave up. You gave me the chance to go figure it out. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
When I attached the JPG a thumnail icon appears and must be clicked on to see the picture. Other folks seem to have the picture showing without the icon. What am I doing wrong! I just want the picture to show in the post without any additional effort on the viewers part!

One simple way is to upload the photos to your own cache page, and paste each photo's URL into the "Insert Image" icon in your forum reply. To avoid confusing cachers, I upload the occasional odd photo to one of my archived caches.

But if you upload in the Photos section as an attachment, you can then Insert Image much the same way. Upload a photo, right-click its thumbnail image, and you will see a URL. If, for example, the thumbnail's URL is:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-7976698-079894000%201422727200_thumb.jpg

... remove the only the "_thumb" portion, so it's like this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-7976698-079894000%201422727200.jpg

Use that URL in the Insert Image form, and the thumbnail remains, but viewers don't have to click the thumbnail. This technique has the advantage of having the photo's file in the same place as the forum itself, so it's more likely to be viewable, than if you uploaded it to another site.

Thanks for asking! I once tried to display a thumbnail, and gave up. You gave me the chance to go figure it out. :anicute:

Thanks so much for the post I will give that a try - nice explaination and very helpful!