Multi that requires solving a cypher advise

doc73

Sorry, advice... Dang auto correct!

I want to place a multi. I though of just keeping it simple but thought it would be fun and a challenge to have the cacher solve a cypher that to solve would require a visit to a location to get the "code word."

I had two thoughts... The code work gives the right GZ for the first leg or... The code word is just simply used to de-crypt the message.

The second option is what I'd love to do but I do not know if that would be just plain wrong since it might require two trips just to solve. One to get the word and the the next once the message is solved.

I know there are NO opinions here LOL but any thoughts. Thanks, Pat

Edited by doc73

State in the cache description that it may require two trips, and cachers can decide what to do.

Sometimes I'm at such a cache and realize I have all the data I need. But crouching in the mud, being bitten by bugs, shuffling pieces of paper while trying to decode a waypoint, can be pretty miserable. Or it can make a memorable adventure. Maybe there's a fine line there. :laughing:

The second option is what I'd love to do but I do not know if that would be just plain wrong since it might require two trips just to solve. One to get the word and the the next once the message is solved.

There's nothing wrong with caches that are difficult to find, whether that's because of a tough puzzle, a tricky hide, or requiring multiple visits. I'd certainly recommend, however, that you make it clear on the cache listing page that multiple visits might be needed, so potential seekers can decide for themselves whether they consider it to be a worthwhile cache. Some will enjoy the extra challenge, while others will skip it altogether.

I'd also say that the cache you describe would be best listed as a Mystery/Unknown/Puzzle. Generally, if a Multi contains some kind of puzzle along the way, it's something very easy like some basic arithmetic or a projection. Your idea of decrypting text could, depending on the complexity, put it over the edge into the Puzzle world.

Whether a cache is listed as a multi or puzzle can vary by region and the preferences of the local reviewers, so YMMV. In my region, if it was more than a simple ROT13 cipher, it would probably be listed as a puzzle.

I'd also say that the cache you describe would be best listed as a Mystery/Unknown/Puzzle. Generally, if a Multi contains some kind of puzzle along the way, it's something very easy like some basic arithmetic or a projection. Your idea of decrypting text could, depending on the complexity, put it over the edge into the Puzzle world.

Whether a cache is listed as a multi or puzzle can vary by region and the preferences of the local reviewers, so YMMV. In my region, if it was more than a simple ROT13 cipher, it would probably be listed as a puzzle.

Ok, that is good to know. I guess the next thing to think about is the fact of how easy it is to decrypt. I am thinking of using a cypher that can be figured on one's own with the code word... But I think I might modify it to include at least the kind of cypher to allow a field de-crypt easier. I want to make it interesting but not over the top. This would be my first multi / puzzle / mystery catch so I do not know how hard this would be yet.

I agree, I would have put the fact that it would a bit of a puzzle in the cache description but in the name does seem reasonable to allow those to skip it instead of wasting a trip. Thank you all for the tips. Its a bit cold out here but I got the cache containers camoed up today. Just trying to decide if a lock and lock is OK for the final or if I want to do something more creative with this particular one!

Just a suggestion - you might want to get some experienced puzzle solving cachers to road-test it for your before submitting for publication. I created my first puzzle cache and then modified it based on feedback from some road-testers. I had become so close to it and knew how I wanted it to work that I couldn't be sure that it really did work.

Just a suggestion - you might want to get some experienced puzzle solving cachers to road-test it for your before submitting for publication. I created my first puzzle cache and then modified it based on feedback from some road-testers. I had become so close to it and knew how I wanted it to work that I couldn't be sure that it really did work.

That's a good plan. I inflicted my first cache puzzle on a cacher friend before I published it. I had to know if it seemed like something that people would be able to do, and might enjoy as well. So I submitted it after approval. :anicute: