Took home a cache by accident

ayeyo

Hi, just wanted to let the owner of the cache I just took home by accident know that it wasn't stolen or lost, in case anyone goes looking for it. It was in Middletown CT off the Metacomet trail near the intersection that splits to Mt. Higby just off Country Club road in an old ice box. I thought it was a flashlight someone lost until I got it home and went to put batteries in it.

I will try to return it next weekend. Sorry!

Hi, just wanted to let the owner of the cache I just took home by accident know that it wasn't stolen or lost, in case anyone goes looking for it. It was in Middletown CT off the Metacomet trail near the intersection that splits to Mt. Higby just off Country Club road in an old ice box. I thought it was a flashlight someone lost until I got it home and went to put batteries in it.

Best to email the owner through the link on the cache page.

Tricky hide, huh?!

Post a "write note" log on the cache page. If the cache owner is reading his emails, he will get notice of it and disable the cache until it is returned.

If anyone reads cache pages any more, they will see it and know not to go looking for it.

B.

With an account created today, and no prior geocache finds, it's likely that the topic starter wasn't a geocacher until today. Help may be needed to find the correct cache listing. Here is the cache at the top of Mt. Higby: http://coord.info/GC3A7YJ Country Club Road is to the south, and the referenced Metacomet Trail runs generally north-south across the top of Higby Mountain.

Wesleyan Woods is a Nano.

I checked a few other caches in the area but could not find one that might be a flashlight. Usually these will have tricky titles like "Bright Idea for a Cache" and/or logs complimenting the CO for the cool cache container.

My link to the cache atop Mt Higby was just to get people into the general area. Click on the Geocaching.com map link to see the other caches in the area. Hopefully someone spots something that matches!

You guys reply fast. I just downloaded a cache app but I have no idea how this works so I wasn't sure who to contact or if I could somehow mark it so the owner would see it. It's a small LED light that has some kind of purpose built container inside to hold the log list. The print on the log list is entirely in German, which I found really weird. Looks like it's been around at least a year with the last log in late October.

It was in Wesleyan woods. It wasn't anywhere near higby, only near the trail split that goes to higby.

Don't know which app you downloaded. If its the geocaching intro app, this may not work. But basically sign in, go to where you found it, and hit "find nearest" or something similar. If the cache is active and not archived(taken out of the game, though maybe the container wasn't taken back) and it was where it was supposed to be you should get a cache very close by. Hopefully within 20 feet. By looking at the details on the cache page(the app/website, not the actual paper) you would then know the cache name, owner, previous finders...

Or you could look on the maps on geocaching.com and see what caches appear near where you found it.

These are not perfect, but it's a place to start.

A bit off topic-was the container inside the flashlight something like this?bison-micro-green_500.jpg

That's called a bison tube. They're fairly popular containers.

I think I've got it: Biked Out 2 (enlightened)

Check the gallery - it shows a small silver flashlight.

Good detective work! I think that might be right; at least it's the correct container type (I confirmed this in the archived reviewer notes from prior to publication).

This is a premium member only cache, so the topic starter won't be able to see the cache listing. Someone else could log a note, or the topic starter could write an email to the cache owner, Bobclimber.

And, if the topic starter would like to log a find, let us know and we can step you through the method for logging a find on a premium member cache when you are a basic member. It's a great story!

Edited by Keystone

That tube is exactly what was inside, minus the lid. I still don't understand why the log was in German though.

I'm not too worried about logging the find though I think I will add this to my hobby list. I used the app (it's the intro app) to find a cache on a hike today and then failed at finding a second one. It was fun though. I'll email that guy and let him know I have it. Thanks for finding it.