Will this Cache idea be classed as "Puzzle Cache"?

Spotted: Correze

I'm currently creating what I consider to be a Puzzle Cache. Please tell me if Puzzle Cache is the correct description so Review will be easy.

Or advise me what it should be called!

This is how it works (without giving too much away).

GZ is centre of 30m square in my own woodland (all that info provided to geocachers in Cache description). Inside that 30m square is a 3 Part 'puzzle' Cache.

All 3 elements are within the 30m sq & visible to naked eye.

(1) 1st Part contains 'tools' to facilitate Part 2.

(2) Part 2 contains more 'tools' required to achieve Part 3 (which is exchange items & Log).

Nothing like this exists near me (SW France) so I have no point of reference from other similar caches created by others.

Trying to be a little innovative because most caches near here are 35mm film cans & small Tupperware boxes under rocks or in trees.

Going to the next level B)

Edited by Spotted: Correze

Yes it is a puzzle cache, as in you have to solve the puzzle. But what kind of cache should you choose? You might be able to list it as a traditional cache and use the field puzzle attribute. You could also list it as a multi since you have to 3 locations. You could also list it as a blue "?" cache (unknown/mystery/whatever it's called now) The argument could be made for any of those types, the "acceptable" type being different depending on where you are.

I personally would list it how I want, and if the reviewer disagrees, then he will ask you to change the cache type.

Remember all three stages must have the co-ords listed and still have to be 161m from a different cache. They can be closer than that to each other (since it's the same cache) and those co-ords don't have to be visible, they can be hidden to everyone except you and the reviewer.

I would vote Multi with Field Puzzle Attribute.

T

I was initially thinking "?", but then...

(1) 1st Part contains 'tools' to facilitate Part 2.

(2) Part 2 contains more 'tools' required to achieve Part 3 (which is exchange items & Log).

...there's the "go here, and then here..." element which makes me agree with Multi.

Thanks guys!

I've now posed the same question to my local Reviewer.

At the end of the day it'll be him/her who makes the decision. Discussing it prior to submission makes sense.

Many thanks once again.

I'm going for Traditional with Field Puzzle attribute. We'll see! :-)

I'll guess that you'll hear back that it should be a Multi or Unknown cache type. Generally, a Traditional means you simply head to the spot where a GPS tells you to be, open a cache, and that's it. It may be different in your area, but that's what I'd expect based on what you say the cache process is. It would be different if the cache and all tools were all at the same coordinates/same precise spot; that's more of a Traditional with a "puzzle" to open it (versus a "puzzle" to find it)

I think a lot depends on how obvious the correct use of the tools is. I've seen caches like this listed as multi-caches when the use of the tool is relatively obvious (e.g., a length of fishing line with a magnet on the end at stage 1, and a hollow stump at stage 2). I've also seen caches like this listed as mystery puzzle caches when the use of the tool is more like solving a puzzle because you can't just use them in the obvious way (e.g., fitting pieces together to assemble a pointing device that points to the final cache when placed properly).

In Sweden there is a cache where you have to go to GZ. When there you have to find a tool located on a nearby sign to unscrew a lid from a metal tube. This cache is listed as a traditional one.

/Samuel

Sounds like a regional liberty being taken. The Reviewer and the cache placer don't have the same understanding or opinion of what constitutes a Traditional cache as in other geographical regions. C'est la vie. :tired:

In Sweden there is a cache where you have to go to GZ. When there you have to find a tool located on a nearby sign to unscrew a lid from a metal tube. This cache is listed as a traditional one.

/Samuel

Sounds like a regional liberty being taken. The Reviewer and the cache placer don't have the same understanding or opinion of what constitutes a Traditional cache as in other geographical regions. C'est la vie. :tired:

Not necessarily. It could well be a traditional with the fields puzzle attribute and an appropriate D-rating. There are some caches of that type where one has to bring the right tool (which is not mentioned in the cache description oneself) and there are other caches which are somehow easier for the finders in the sense that they are told that all what they need can be found in the vicinity of the container which is hidden at the cache coordinates. There are typically no second coordinates for such caches, so multi does not apply. One could classify such caches as ?, but the fields puzzle icon exists intentionally for traditionals and the described caches somehow seems to fit and it helps those who hate solving puzzles at home, but typically like traditionals with some twist.

I always thought that the fields puzzle icon exists for traditionals exactly for such situations.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne
We have one like that that you have to find the key to open the cache and it is a traditional. But the key is not located to far from the cache. I guess it would depend on how far away. I think 30 meters would make it to far away for a traditional but that is just my thoughts.
There's a TB hotel around here like that. It's a large-size container that locks, and the key is hidden within a few yards of the cache itself. After consulting with the volunteer reviewer, the CO listed it as a Traditional cache.