Coyote Issues

SPSF700

A .223 should take care of them. But again why do you think it's coyotes? I live in a coyote rich area and never had a problem with any caches. Only issues with the yotes I've heard about here was a couple micros that may have smelled like food. And to a coyote anything can smell like food. Medicine, bubbles, scented candles, air freshener...

Okay, good. Let's summarize the helpful advice so far, in case others wish to add some:

● Use metal cans covered with rocks.

● Avoid micros - they find those delectable.

● Avoid caches that smell like food, or like medicine, bubbles, scented candles or air freshener. (Some coyotes lean toward the artsy. ;) )

● Use 22 caliber bullets.

● Move to Australia, or at least place caches there. (Oops, vacation caches, a big no-no, unless Gill & Tony will maintain them.)

And you thought *I* was a wise-guy!

So here's a serious suggestion. Place the cache where they can't get to it. For example, determine how much climbing they do, and place it high. Or place it in a crevice where it can't be pulled out, but has to be maneuvered out. Rock on top - good idea.

Edited by wmpastor

And you thought *I* was a wise-guy!

How about hiding a nice gladware container filled with chocolate? :P

Well, I learned something today:

Chemists with the USDA are investigating the use of theobromine as a toxicant to control coyotes that prey on livestock.

Theobromine? The ingredient in cocoa that's toxic to cats, dogs & coyotes.

Thanks to all for the great ideas - the DNR land my hiking power trail is on has deposits of spent shotgun shells and ammo casings which might work fine as caches. As more my camo tape covered PBs (yea - bad idea) come up missing - I will replace with metal caches (while eating chocolate!).

Now, how does one get cachers to cover back up the containers so that the 60 mile an hour winds we have here will not blow them away.

Thanks to all for the great ideas.

Now, how does one get cachers to cover back up the containers so that the 60 mile an hour winds we have here will not blow them away.

You've got quite the sense of humor to tolerate this unruly crowd!

Ok, we've "solved" your coyote problem. Now you want us to solve your wind problems??? Start a new thread - so we've got more material for "The Stands."

:laughing:

Edited by wmpastor

OP, are you sure it is coyotes?

In my area, I would suspect raccoons. They get into everything.

While camping recently, the foxes would steal anything they could carry. Walk 15 feet away and they were on our stuff.

The answer has already been given: ammo cans.

We're hoping you use game cams before the ammo cans. Post some pics in "Photos for Shirley."

And once we find the real culprit, a new thread can start!