One Million Waymarks

jhuoni

For what it is worth...

I've kept track of the last few weeks of waymarks posted. It seems that the "average" per day is about 225.

At this moment, there are 571,472 posted waymarks. Keeping at this pace it will take over FIVE YEARS (5.21 years) to reach ONE MILLION.

Is that correct?

Using a larger sample to come up with an average, there's been an average of 183 new Waymarks per day since we hit 500,000. This might be a bit more accurate, because it covers a little over a year and takes into account varying rates from season to season. At that rate, it would take 6.4 years.

...of course, this assumes Groundspeak doesn't decide to axe the whole thing before then...

Using a larger sample to come up with an average, there's been an average of 183 new Waymarks per day since we hit 500,000. This might be a bit more accurate, because it covers a little over a year and takes into account varying rates from season to season. At that rate, it would take 6.4 years.

...of course, this assumes Groundspeak doesn't decide to axe the whole thing before then...

Is there a place that list weekly stats or are you like me; keeping track of nonsensical statistics? rolleyes.gif

Personally, I like the 5.2 year forecast better.

I predict they'll axe it before there are 1,000,000 Waymarks. :ph34r:

Been around since before the site was created, and it had a small "cult following" in the beginning in 2005 and for a few years, but the numbers (from my observation, at least) have been steadily dropping for years.

That being said, I took two mini vacations within my own State in August, and have tons of pics. I should log a few Waymarks. I'll get right on that. :)

I predict they'll axe it before there are 1,000,000 Waymarks. :ph34r:

Been around since before the site was created, and it had a small "cult following" in the beginning in 2005 and for a few years, but the numbers (from my observation, at least) have been steadily dropping for years.

I have seen the decline of a few geocaching sites in recent years, I thought that the newest one would give Waymarking some competition with their virtual caches. Garmin's site will likey stick around, only because it is a tax write off and it is absoulty a awful excuse of a geocaching site, but still more popular than Waymarking. Groundspeak will not invest money on a project that does not show a profit. :anibad:

Yeah, I listed my two geocaches (both a couple of years old) on that other site, and I have yet to have one log entry! Meanwhile, I regularly get logs on them from geocaching.com.

I've been concerned about the whole "axing it" possibility also. But I figure that I might as well have some fun while it lasts.

Sad but true, my waymarks seldom ever get any visits. I don't play Waymarking like it was intended. I don't use the scavanger hunt feature, have no interest in filling grids, and don't care about the numbers. I do see photos of things/places that I like to visit, I use this site like a search engine. Nothing here that I can't do on my Flickr account and I don't need anyone's approval to post my photos and coordinates.

If they ever pull the plug on this site, I'll just keep right on geocaching like nothing ever happened. I still upload photos of my finds, I have a small collection of photos of me geocaching. Now that I started phone caching, I'm enjoying the hobby more again. My children are older and have hides of their own, so I'm just one Waymarker in a group of geocachers. I don't see this site growing with new members, just the same old veterans. :anibad: Groundspeak won't keep the lights on just for a small group, and I don't think they will invest anymore on this site. Truth be known, it is volunteers that are keeping this site afloat. :anibad:

Groundspeak won't keep the lights on just for a small group, and I don't think they will invest anymore on this site.

Yeah, it's a catch-22 situation. The site* needs to be improved to entice more users, but Groundspeak won't make those improvements if there aren't more people using it. One or the other needs occur on its own or this will all fail and probably go away.

*and associated services, like the creation of a mobile app

Yeah, I listed my two geocaches (both a couple of years old) on that other site, and I have yet to have one log entry! Meanwhile, I regularly get logs on them from geocaching.com.

I've been concerned about the whole "axing it" possibility also. But I figure that I might as well have some fun while it lasts.

Sad but true, my waymarks seldom ever get any visits. I don't play Waymarking like it was intended. I don't use the scavanger hunt feature, have no interest in filling grids, and don't care about the numbers. I do see photos of things/places that I like to visit, I use this site like a search engine. Nothing here that I can't do on my Flickr account and I don't need anyone's approval to post my photos and coordinates.

If they ever pull the plug on this site, I'll just keep right on geocaching like nothing ever happened. I still upload photos of my finds, I have a small collection of photos of me geocaching. Now that I started phone caching, I'm enjoying the hobby more again. My children are older and have hides of their own, so I'm just one Waymarker in a group of geocachers. I don't see this site growing with new members, just the same old veterans. :anibad: Groundspeak won't keep the lights on just for a small group, and I don't think they will invest anymore on this site. Truth be known, it is volunteers that are keeping this site afloat. :anibad:

I don't think the Scavenger hunt stuff came until about 2010 or so, just a wild guess. I'm not a big Waymarker, but I have visits every single year since 2005 (I've only posted two, and that was only a couple years ago). I don't think (and I could be wrong) that there has been any new development on the site in couple years. It's always been slow as molasses. :D

I don't know, will they pull the plug? It's coming up on 10 years. Inconclusive, I suppose.

What's interesting is Groundspeak just got approved for a patent involving Waymarking just very recently. I doubt they would pour that many resources into lawyers and such just to can the game at this point.

http://patents.justi...Groundspeak-inc

I read througt all of that, but i couldnt tell you what any of it means.

I read it... Wouldn't want to take part in it! Sounds BORING! :laughing: