camouflage idea

ProfessorBenson

I'm sick and tired of my geocaches getting trashed. I figure it's not being done by other cachers, just people who find them, don't understand what they are and trash the cache. So I want to make one that will be tamper-proof:

A geocache disguised as a hornet's nest.

And for an added attraction: I want to put a motion-activated buzzer on the inside. This will keep away the wrong sort of people. Of course, in the cache description, I'll let everyone know what they are supposed to find. And make sure there are no real hornet nests in the area.

Does this concept violate any of the rules?

I want to make one that will be tamper-proof:

A geocache disguised as a hornet's nest.

Are you intending to place caches in plain view, yet they never get tampered with? Where would you place the "hornet's nest"? Depending on the place, a maintenance person might remove a hornet's nest.

Some of my most enduring caches are designed to blend very well with their environment, to be unnoticeable, or not noteworthy. I had one in a wooden post in the middle of a busy picnic area, and there was no evidence that anyone but cachers ever found it.

Camouflage isn't the only consideration. A fake hornets nest will still get messed with, in a popular hangout.

I would like to know more about that motion-activated buzzer, since I could use a similar idea in one or two of my caches. How is it powered? Is it inexpensive/replaceable? Waterproof?

Edited by kunarion

I think you'd be further ahead to make something that looks like it belongs there, instead of something that doesn't... THAT is true camouflage. Trust me, a hornet nest -- either fake or real -- has no business being located where folks can see it.

A fake hornet nest is fine... but not if there are lots of folks to see it. Put it in an area full of muggles and it will get destroyed and only exacerbate your frustration. Somebody will do something about it!

A fake hornet nest belongs where nobody with the possible exception of a geocacher will find it, generally high and mostly out of sight, with a hint so they know what they are looking for. In the middle of the woods, yes... along a busy street, no!

Edit to add: FWIW, a hornet nest attracts kids... it doesn't keep them at bay. Attract kids, and you attract adults.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Keep in mind that cache durability is more than keeping muggles from discovering the cache accidentally. Geocachers have to be able to find, retrieve, and replace the cache without attracting undue attention to it.

How much attention do you think your fake wasp nest will attract when geocachers retrieve and replace it?