SUGGESTION: Limit number of Logtypes per listing

23Hunter

All right.

This is a big one.

With my poor knowledge of the english language i will try to explain it as good as possible.

I suggest to limit the post of every logtype to ,lets say, about 5 per listing and hr.

Why?

Have a look at only one of my caches: http://coord.info/GC2QFPC

This troll keeps posting notes like crazy and its all bs.

There is nothing i can do.

Deleting notes is useless, because he will just open up a new account and do the same f... thing.

The only thing i can do so far for (active) caches is giving them a PM status, so the basic member can't look at them.

But its no the final solution.

Just yesterday i received about 200! emails that he posted a note on many of my caches.

And i am not the only person he keeps spamming.

I can not separate such email from other one, because i may miss other important mails from Groundspeak.

And i recommend not sending this #$%&** a message, because he will spam your listing also.

How do you think about this Idea?

I think its a good one.

All right.

This is a big one.

With my poor knowledge of the english language i will try to explain it as good as possible.

I suggest to limit the post of every logtype to ,lets say, about 5 per listing and hr.

Why?

Have a look at only one of my caches: http://coord.info/GC2QFPC

This troll keeps posting notes like crazy and its all bs.

There is nothing i can do.

Deleting notes is useless, because he will just open up a new account and do the same f... thing.

The only thing i can do so far for (active) caches is giving them a PM status, so the basic member can't look at them.

But its no the final solution.

Just yesterday i received about 200! emails that he posted a note on many of my caches.

And i am not the only person he keeps spamming.

I can not separate such email from other one, because i may miss other important mails from Groundspeak.

And i recommend not sending this #$%&** a message, because he will spam your listing also.

How do you think about this Idea?

I think its a good one.

It's interesting that your PMO cache is being attacked by more than one spammer.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you and others, but your suggestion would be unworkable and not fair to others.

You need to get in contact with Groundspeak. Only they can deal with spammer accounts.

What I see is the major problem is the fact that Basic Members can post notes to PMO caches. It's an open doorway to spammers, and it's been discovered by these spammers, obviously.

B.

There seems to be more than one spammer at work, and they aren't just posting notes (DeUnderTakker and MirOZsLav).

There are "found it" logs by P.Albtraum (96 finds) and MonsterTeer (682 finds).

I'm guessing that you made the cache PMO after this spam activity took place?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol
Email Grounspeak and complain about him

Done that. but its weekend.

It took me about an hr to copy every single link to his logs into the mails.

A good friend working for Groundspeak told me to put this on the forums so John can read it.

And he has done this before.

Then there was silence and he came back.

Usually when school is out, so im sure its a "child".

It's interesting that your PMO cache is being attacked by more than one spammer.

your suggestion would be unworkable and not fair to others.

You need to get in contact with Groundspeak. Only they can deal with spammer accounts.

What I see is the major problem is the fact that Basic Members can post notes to PMO caches. It's an open doorway to spammers, and it's been discovered by these spammers, obviously.

I have set the caches to PMO after so many "attacks" now hes spamming 2 of my archived caches which must be locked soon.

You don't think its annoying?

Put it on your watchlist: http://coord.info/GC35C3P

It may not be fair to other, but in fact, ever muggles can create an account and is free to do whatever he wants.

I wouldn't call it spamming, because it includes some sort of ads for me.

I call it bullying.

I know its forbidden to send about 5 to 6 message within an hr, and then you have to wait "in order to prevent spamming".

I think Groundspeak can also block specific IP addresses

I am aware of the situation, but nowadays you can restart your router to have a new IP adress and keep on going.

I know its only 1 person.

While im writing i have received over 200 emails.

I'm guessing that you made the cache PMO after this spam activity took place?

Yes, you are right. But i cant do it with archived caches.

I can tell your guys the whole story, but ill make it short.

A long time ago i reported a random person for logging caches without being at the location.

Unless you can teleport yourself.

I asked him before i reported him, but he didn't answer.

So i suppose he remembered my name, and it made him mad.

At one of my latest (now archived) event he kept posting notes like crazy, and all the watchers kept asking me why this is happening.

Groundspeak closed this account, and for a long time it as silent.

Now, as i suppose, this "child" is on holidays and has nothing else to do.

I am not the only one being spammed.

Just send him a message and you will see.

If this guy is actually a real cacher it should be possible to cross reference his ip adress with his real account, right?

One of the things that idiots like this love is to see that the person they're bullying is being affected by the tactics, so if they see this post they will be delighted that they're bothering you. Really the best way to deal with it in this case is not to respond to them, don't post about it in here (too late for that) or anywhere else, but just report it to Groundspeak. They should be able to easily delete all the accounts that have been used so far, and all the logs belonging to those accounts, they may also be able to track these back to the original "real" account and delete that too. They may be able to do something about banning the source IP address (depending on whether or not the offender is quickly changing addresses).

If this person just finds that their account and logs gets deleted every day they will soon get very bored.

As for the notification Emails, set up a mail rule or filter to automatically delete any notifications from the offending accounts.

One of the things that idiots like this love is to see that the person they're bullying is being affected by the tactics, so if they see this post they will be delighted that they're bothering you. Really the best way to deal with it in this case is not to respond to them, don't post about it in here (too late for that) or anywhere else, but just report it to Groundspeak. They should be able to easily delete all the accounts that have been used so far, and all the logs belonging to those accounts, they may also be able to track these back to the original "real" account and delete that too. They may be able to do something about banning the source IP address (depending on whether or not the offender is quickly changing addresses).

If this person just finds that their account and logs gets deleted every day they will soon get very bored.

As for the notification Emails, set up a mail rule or filter to automatically delete any notifications from the offending accounts.

The OP is not dealing with a "troll". There are 2 distinct spam accounts attacking his cache pages, and a trackable page.

Spammers aren't delighting in getting attention. They don't look back, they just spew spam.

The ONLY action is to notify Groundspeak of these 2 accounts, and let them deal with it. They will delete all the actions posted by the spammers and lock those accounts.

It might take a bit of time, but deleting their logs and notes is completely pointless.

I know what damage spammers can do. In any forum or site that allows anyone to create an account, that is the danger one must face. Only when you institute Admin-approval can you stop the flood. And Groundspeak just can't do that.

I spend a lot of my time dealing with spam registrants, on a forum that is miniscule compared to the behemoth that is Groundspeak. It's easy for me, I can just delete them. But before our forum instituted the Admin-approval system, the forum was getting hammered by spammers who could register without anyone controlling them. The absolute filthiest spam was posted every day, and our membership was staying away in droves.

Every day, there are spammers posting here on the GS forum. The moderators are quick to deal with them, so maybe you just haven't seen the garbage.

So, report these accounts (DeUnderTakker, MirOZsLav, P.Albtraum and MonsterTeer) to Groundspeak and be patient.

B.

The OP is not dealing with a "troll". There are 2 distinct spam accounts attacking his cache pages, and a trackable page.

Spammers aren't delighting in getting attention. They don't look back, they just spew spam.

I think he is dealing with a single individual, using more than one account. There are too many similarities between the posts such as the nature of the text similar and they're almost certainly using the same script code to post the logs, and I suspect the person behind it all is taking delight in the trouble caused. If it was a true spammer then they would be hitting hundreds of cachers with these tactics, not repeatedly hitting a handfull of cachers.