Neewbie - how do I send to my eTrex 20?

bigglesgirl72

Hi all,

Real neewbie to all this GPS and geocaching stuff. I have connected my eTrex 20 to my PC and gone to the geochaching map and clicked on the relevnat geochaces I want to try out. This has bought up the usual little box with the option "Send to GPS". I've clicked that and then agreed to the terms and clicked submit.

When I look on my eTrex 20 there's nothing there! Where's it gone? Am I sending it to my gps correctly? My ettex suggests I need to go the garmin/geocaching site to get them but I'd prefer to get them from here.

Help!

Sharon

I never use the Send to My GPS function but I vaguely remember that there is a problem when trying to do so from the map popup. Go to the cache page and try again from that screen.

Since you did not tell us what you are using, I am guessing a version of Windows and Internet Explorer. If so try Firefox which will mean you will need to reinstall the Garmin plugin for Firefox to work with the GPS. Also as a Basic Member, you will only get LOC files, which contains only the cache code, cache name, latitude, and longitude. To get the full benefit of your GPS you need to upgrade to a Premium membership, then you would get the above, plus description, hints, logs, and size, difficulty and terrain ratings.

I think you still get a 1 month free Premium membership by tell Groundspeak that you have your new GPS.

Thanks all. Your method via the cache page worked perfectly.

Will give the free info a go first and if we get hooked I'll sign up as a premium member!

Just so's you know...

Once you load non-premium data into the unit then later go Premium, you have to do extra work with your GPSr to get it functioning correctly for Premium data.

The two data types don't play well together.