"...respond promptly to problem reports."

GeoCacher.43

"Only place caches you can maintain and respond promptly to problem reports."

Ok, understood. But what constitutes 'promptly' and 'problem reports'? Is 'promptly' within a week, a month, etc.? Does two or three cachers not finding it in a row constitute 'problem reports', etc.?

It depends.

How long is a piece of string?

what constitutes 'promptly' and 'problem reports'? Is 'promptly' within a week, a month, etc.?

One consideration is how popular the cache is. If it's found several times a week, the reports will build up. The more common thing is not that it is fixed within a month, but that COs never respond. If it seems like a lot of cachers are logging about expecting the Cache Owner to have helped by now, do so, promptly. :anicute:

Does two or three cachers not finding it in a row constitute 'problem reports', etc.?

That depends on what not finding is :ph34r:. If it's just plain hard to find, and the Difficulty selection is appropriate, it's not a problem. If the container was opened and contents strewn around so there's nothing to sign and if it's tough to know if that was the cache, that's a problem. But even easy caches can develop a string of “DNFs” when the cache is in place just fine.

Edited by kunarion

"Only place caches you can maintain and respond promptly to problem reports."

Ok, understood. But what constitutes 'promptly' and 'problem reports'? Is 'promptly' within a week, a month, etc.? Does two or three cachers not finding it in a row constitute 'problem reports', etc.?

Respond to the reports. That doesn't necessarily mean check on the cache. It means act accordingly to the logs. perhaps it's a high difficulty cache that people with years of experience have a hard time finding, and a bunch of newbs log DNF's or even a NA thinking it's gone. In that case a note reminding people of the high difficulty would be good. However if someone reports that the property owner wants it gone, the immediate archival and removal may be in order. A cache found every day should be checked on more often than the cache only found once a year.

Even if you can't check on the cache leave a note on the page "I'm out of town for a few weeks but I'll check when I get back" that's a prompt response even if you can't fix the issue right away.

What TDM said, especially that promptly communicating via notes on your cache page. You don't have to rush out that day but you can let finders and reviewers know that your keeping an eye on the logs and will get out to it asap. If another week goes by, write another note explaining the delay. Also disable the cache if there's nothing to find or the cache is in really bad shape. That way people don't waste their time and gas money. I think reviewers will give you a month to address the problem. Even so, if you keep the reviewer informed about what's causing the delay you can keep the cache disabled longer.

As noted previously, a couple of DNF's on a cache that is known to be very difficult doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. A more reliable report, such as evidence of the cache remnants strewn about or a container full of water,, should prompt a response from the owner.

Now, if it will be awhile before you can get to it, I think that's OK but I think the cache should be disabled, with a comment giving an estimate of when you intend to fix it. This is appreciated by seekers so they'll know that the cache is temporarily out of play and they won't waste their time looking for it.

How long is OK to leave it disabled kind of depends on the circumstances....for example, if the cache had to be disabled because of construction in the area, it may be several weeks before it's available again. I think this is also OK as long as you explain it in the log, so your reviewer will know what's going on.

A couple of weeks ago, I passed by one of my cache locations following a period of particularly heavy rain and saw the whole area was flooded....so much so that I couldn't even get in there to check on it. So the reasonable thing to do was disable it until the water receded and I could get in to check on it.

Strange that you would ask something here regarding something posted on another site. They have a contact link at the bottom of their website. Maybe you could get an answer by emailing them?

As far as this site is concerned....

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

Link for reference:

Geocaching Listing Requirements/Guidelines