Saving to offline list

The2ems

I have just downloaded the full app from the App Store, after using the free version for a couple of weeks. One of the features is to save to offline list. Am I right in assuming that having done that I can use the app to navigate to a saved cache even without wifi or 3G.

Also, if I install the full app on my iPad as well as my iPhone, could I look for caches on the larger screen, save offline, then sync to my iPhone?

What phone, which app?

Am I right in assuming that having done that I can use the app to navigate to a saved cache even without wifi or 3G.

Yes. (If your phone has GPS capabilities)

Also, if I install the full app on my iPad as well as my iPhone, could I look for caches on the larger screen, save offline, then sync to my iPhone?

Don't know.Suspect not, it probably saves it on the device, so is not accesable by the other device.

What phone, which app?

Am I right in assuming that having done that I can use the app to navigate to a saved cache even without wifi or 3G.

Don't know.Suspect not, it probably saves it on the device, so is not accesable by the other device.

Hmm. iPhone, as mentioned in original post and Groundspeak app :blink:

The apps will not sync between iPad and iPhone (other than personal cache notes)

So. If you are interested in offline lists (NOT PQs) then this is how you do it.:

Open your app, look for new caches to get to the map. Scroll your map to your desired location and hit the little magnifying glass on the lower left that says "New search from here"

The app will bring up 10-30 caches (depending on what your personal settings are). Hit the (...) on the upper right-hand corner and you will see a '+ load more results' option. You can hit this button till kingdom come and load as many caches as you'd like. When you've reached a reasonable amount, hit the (...) again and select "-+ safe to off-line list"

Then you create a new list (top button),name it and be done with it all. It will be in your saved tab that you access from the bottom.

Done

The apps will not sync between iPad and iPhone (other than personal cache notes)

So. If you are interested in offline lists (NOT PQs) then this is how you do it.:

Open your app, look for new caches to get to the map. Scroll your map to your desired location and hit the little magnifying glass on the lower left that says "New search from here"

The app will bring up 10-30 caches (depending on what your personal settings are). Hit the (...) on the upper right-hand corner and you will see a '+ load more results' option. You can hit this button till kingdom come and load as many caches as you'd like. When you've reached a reasonable amount, hit the (...) again and select "-+ safe to off-line list"

Then you create a new list (top button),name it and be done with it all. It will be in your saved tab that you access from the bottom.

Done

That's brilliant thanks. I thought I would have to save them all individually. Thanks again :D

What phone, which app?

thj

You used the term App Store which is the iOS. However many refer the Play Store for Android as App store. The term App like Xerox and others has become generic. In fact Google has an icon on its home page that says apps which applies to applets it uses for various uses. So your "Hmm. iPhone, as mentioned in original post" assumption comes across a little snooty. Not uncommon for iOS users.

Thanks! I found an area I was trying to cache in yesterday that didn't have service and wanted to research that "offline list" function as I'm not a premium member and can't take advantage of PQs. Thanks for explaining this in an easy way!! =]

Also, as an answer to the question regarding moving lists. My phone asked if I wanted to save to my phone or the SD card. I guess with the iPhone/iPad this doesn't help as Apple doesn't allow external storage but for Androids I think you could switch from device to device using the SD card.

What phone, which app?

thj

You used the term App Store which is the iOS. However many refer the Play Store for Android as App store. The term App like Xerox and others has become generic. In fact Google has an icon on its home page that says apps which applies to applets it uses for various uses. So your "Hmm. iPhone, as mentioned in original post" assumption comes across a little snooty. Not uncommon for iOS users.

Hmm again. I also used the "Term" iPhone. Can't put it much clearer than that. And I don't understand your generalisation "Not uncommon for IOS users" and it's not being snooty. It's being "why don't people read the whole post before replying" :unsure:

Edited by The2ems

I have just downloaded the full app from the App Store, after using the free version for a couple of weeks. One of the features is to save to offline list. Am I right in assuming that having done that I can use the app to navigate to a saved cache even without wifi or 3G.

I worked out you had an iphone... But NOT which model.

Hence, my reply:

In case you had a model that didn't have GPS capability.

When asking for help, it's a big HELP to supply the full information.

That way we can help you with the correct information...

:)

I worked out you had an iphone... But NOT which model.

Hence, my reply:

In case you had a model that didn't have GPS capability.

When asking for help, it's a big HELP to supply the full information.

That way we can help you with the correct information...

:)

No worries :cool:

What phone, which app?

thj

Hmm again. I also used the "Term" iPhone. Can't put it much clearer than that. And I don't understand your generalisation "Not uncommon for IOS users" and it's not being snooty. It's being "why don't people read the whole post before replying" :unsure:

It's ironic really. People for years have called us snooty, and say we act "better" than other people. But in my experience I find this to be 100% opposite, as evidenced in this thread.

I read your original post. Seemed clear and obvious to me.

Good luck with your offline lists. On my last iPhone I had something like 8-10k caches saved this way