how to down load multible gpx files

Hillster

Hi there. I have read some other questions about this mater but I am a bit confused between a GPX file and a LOC file. I am a premium member. I wish to down load multiple caches in one go if possible directly onto my Explorist 510 instead of going into each cache and hitting the sent do my gps button.

I have done a Pocket Query say for Canberra and saw all the caches that I want to download onto my Explorist 510. I checked the boxes but when I go down the bottom it will only let me down load the Waypoints to the down load icon on my computer. I see that this is only basic information.

Is there a way that I can say complete a query say for 10 km radius of Canberra and then get all of the caches to down load onto my gps with the descriptions and hints etc.

Oh just another point I am not that great on a computer as you have probably worked out.

Thanks Hillster

Not sure exactly what you've done. When you say you "checked all the boxes", exactly which boxes did you check and where?

Has the Pocket Query actually run? You can create a PQ but if you haven't selected a day for it to run, it won't.

If the PQ results in 500 results or less the GPX file should be emailed to you. If it is between 500 and 1,000 you won't get it emailed but it will be available under Pocket Queries in your profile.

Please provide a little more detail of what you actually have done and what you are receiving, I'm having a little trouble identifying what the problem might be.

Thank you Chief301 for your fast reply.

When I get the result of either the PQ or just finding a geocache on the hide and seek a geocache part there is a box on the left that when I check it all the caches below it are also checked. Then go to the bottom to see if I can push button to get them all down loaded into the gps.

Thank you Chief301 for your fast reply.

When I get the result of either the PQ or just finding a geocache on the hide and seek a geocache part there is a box on the left that when I check it all the caches below it are also checked. Then go to the bottom to see if I can push button to get them all down loaded into the gps.

Sounds like you are looking at the Search Results page...

Ticking all the boxes and downloading will give you LOC files.

The GPX file (You did select Day to Run for the PQ didn't you?) will either be emailed (if 500 caches or less) or is available on the second tab - Pocket Queries Ready for Download - here > http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

PQ's of 501 or more caches are never emailed.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Phrasing in this paragraph in the OP, leads me to believe that you are trying to download from the PREVIEW of the Pocket Query.

Loading data to your unit from the preview will provide you only with .loc files, not the .gpx files you desire.

I have done a Pocket Query say for Canberra and saw all the caches that I want to download onto my Explorist 510. I checked the boxes but when I go down the bottom it will only let me down load the Waypoints to the down load icon on my computer. I see that this is only basic information.

To begin with -- you need to delete any and all geocaching data downloaded to your unit.

This is because .loc files and .gpx files will not coexist within your unit. Any .gpx files will revert to .loc (type) files.

.loc files are basic information only, .gpx files are the files that contain descriptions, hints, etc.

Once done, come back to the forums and we can get you to successfully run, download and install a proper Pocket Query to your device.

Getting rid of all previously loaded data is necessary. Loading new data from a Pocket Query won't help you until this is done.

You are previewing the PQ, not actually running it. You need to open the PQ's settings and set a day of the week that you want it to run, (it can be today), and then set what you want to happen after it is run, (see attached image), finally scroll to the bottom and Submit.

This is what generates the GPX file that you need. You will get an email when it is ready. If the GPX file has 500 caches or less, it will be attached to the email. If it has more than 500, you'll get a link where it can be downloaded.

d6a662b2-1f20-45c2-afca-8bef353a1ff2.jpg?rnd=0.5321254

Thanks all. I did it and now can down individually from a list by clicking the right hand side of each cache. I was just wondering if there was some button that I could press to get them all at the same time. Thanks.

hillster, please read my post carefully. In my image is the fact that I clicked the box "Mon". If you open your PQ and click the box Wed, (since today is Wednesday), then scroll to the bottom and "Submit", your PQ will run and you will get an email that will tell you how to retrieve a single GPX file that will contain all of the caches in your PQ.

When you create a PQ, there are two things that you can do with it. You can preview it to see what caches will be returned, or you can allow the PQ to "run", which means that it actually creates a GPX file of all of the caches that you can load into a third party database or onto our GPS devices. You are actually previewing the PQ, but not actually running it.

Double click on your PQ, click the box for today, scroll to the bottom and Submit, wait for the email and follow the instructions in it. You will get the GPX file that includes all of the caches in your PQ. Clear your GPS of all LOC and GPX files and then upload the new GPX file from the PQ.

Thank you for your help. I did it. What I was doing wrong was when I received the email I clicked on the link. I did not see the two attachment files. Ah. I downloaded the files and it worked. One was 4kb and the other was 48kb. (The query I did had 7 caches in it) Thank you again for your help.

Kev.