new to geocaching

samstu

Hi and welcome, generally we don't post pictures of the cache itself as that could give a huge clue to cachers that follow about what they are looking for and where it may be hidden. A nice photo of you in the general location of the cache or of a stunning view however, is always welcome. If you go to the cache page and to your log you will see it says "upload image"

Always worth putting a pen/pencil in your bag if you are planning on finding more. One of the main rules of geocaching is that you sign the log. Some cache owners will delete your online log if you have not actually signed the log book in the cache, unless of course there was a reason such as the log had got damp and too wet to sign. In that case it is OK to take a photo of the cache which you can send privately to the cache owner to prove you were there if they request it.

Hopefully the first of many :)

hi. i found my first ever geocach today, wasnt actually out to geocache but thought id give it a go. so had no pen on me to write on the log. did get some pics of the cache tho. how do i post them to the site?

Help centre > http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=544

Don't post photos of the actual hiding place.

Don't post photos of 'disguised' containers.

Don't post photos of the location of Final locations for Multi and Puzzle caches.

Don't post photos of TB's or coins showing the tracking numbers.

Otherwise, :D photographs are more than welcome!

DO remember to carry a pen or pencil next time you cache!

ETA.

Be aware,that if you cache with a phone app, and use the phone to add the photo, the photograph is often 'tagged' with the co-ordinates the photo was taken at... BIG spoiler for finals of Multi and Puzzle caches. :o

Edited by Bear and Ragged

hi. i found my first ever geocach today, wasnt actually out to geocache but thought id give it a go. so had no pen on me to write on the log. did get some pics of the cache tho. how do i post them to the site?

Help centre > http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=544

Don't post photos of the actual hiding place.

Don't post photos of 'disguised' containers.

Don't post photos of the location of Final locations for Multi and Puzzle caches.

Don't post photos of TB's or coins showing the tracking numbers.

Otherwise, :D photographs are more than welcome!

DO remember to carry a pen or pencil next time you cache!

ETA.

Be aware,that if you cache with a phone app, and use the phone to add the photo, the photograph is often 'tagged' with the co-ordinates the photo was taken at... BIG spoiler for finals of Multi and Puzzle caches. :o

thankyou for replying. i jus thought id take a pic of the cache as proof that i actually found it. only left house with my phone and house keys as was jus plannin a lil sunny afternoon stroll. halfway on the walk i decided to open the geocache app n give it a go, def be doin it again.

Hi and welcome, generally we don't post pictures of the cache itself as that could give a huge clue to cachers that follow about what they are looking for and where it may be hidden. A nice photo of you in the general location of the cache or of a stunning view however, is always welcome. If you go to the cache page and to your log you will see it says "upload image"

Always worth putting a pen/pencil in your bag if you are planning on finding more. One of the main rules of geocaching is that you sign the log. Some cache owners will delete your online log if you have not actually signed the log book in the cache, unless of course there was a reason such as the log had got damp and too wet to sign. In that case it is OK to take a photo of the cache which you can send privately to the cache owner to prove you were there if they request it.

Hopefully the first of many :)

will def be goin cachin again ill be more prepared in future tho lol. only left house with my phone and housekeys as only planned a sunny afternoon stroll

Is the cache close by? You could stop by another time with a pen and sign the log. :)

EDIT: That said, I have photologged a couple of caches: one, the log was so wet and moldy I couldn't sign it. The other, I did forget a pen, and it was a bit of a hike back to the car. :anicute: I took a picture of the log itself for that second one, showing the names on it, as proof, and uploaded that. The first one with the moldy log, the cache was a cool one, and the picture was a spoiler, so I mentioned in my log that I'd forward the picture to the cache owner if she wanted proof I was there. :)

Edited by TriciaG

I have been caught without a pen a couple of times, and a couple of other times the cache container was rusted shut or paper log was too deteriorated to sign. I'll usually take a picture of these caches as proof that I found them but I won't post the pic on the cache page.....I'll mention in my log that I couldn't open the container or whatever, and that I have the pic as proof if requested (cache owners get an automatic email any time someone posts a log on one of their caches). I've yet to have a CO ask for proof or delete a log. Most CO's are pretty laid back and will generally take your word for it if you say you found it.