HELP!

j&abates09

I need some help!!! This is my first geocache and I by chance clicked on one dedicated to my brother!!! That was powerful, it is a multi with a puzzle. It is a SQ called pizzaman, I know the inscription on his headstone by heart but do not know how to add the numerical values I get from adding the numerical values of the words to the coordinates... If anyone can help me at all PLEASE reply!!!! I am supposed to add the numerical values of one word to the north cooridnayes and subtract the numerical values of two other words from the west coordinates. But, I do not know how to do that....

Important need-to-know stuff:

GPSr? -- make, model

-or-

Phone? -- iPhone, android, what?

---if phone, what app? Not the Groundspeak Intro-app, I hope!

Aside from the Intro-app, all of these devices will input the required info.

Now, if what you want to know involves assistance with actually figuring out the coordinates, we cannot do that here in the forums. It is against the rules.

I don't need help with exact coordinates, if that is against the rules... I could give example number and recieve the help that way, If it is allowed...

I'm just beginning to work on puzzle caches. My suggestion to you is to click on the CO (cache owner) at the top of the page. That will link you to the CO's profile page. Scroll down and click on "send message." Type your "HELP" request in the STEP 2 box. I'm fairly certain the CO will be helpful, esp. with your personal connection. Good Luck--some of these puzzle caches are amazingly tricky!!!

I am supposed to add the numerical values of one word to the north cooridnayes and subtract the numerical values of two other words from the west coordinates. But, I do not know how to do that....
Normally, numbers that are added/subtracted are added/subtracted from the decimal portion of the minutes. So as an arbitrary example, if you're supposed to add 123 to the latitude (north coordinate) and subtract 456 from the longitude (west coordinate), then you might have something like this:

N 37° 25.502' W 122° 06.834' (original coordinates)
       +123           -456  (adding/subtracting numbers)
N 37° 25.625' W 122° 06.378' (final coordinates)

This is a multi with instructions that are not very clear to a beginner, not a puzzle. I don't think the puzzle restriction applies here.
The relevant clause in the terms of use refers to "the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner." It isn't limited to puzzles.

That's why I demonstrated the basic concept with the coordinates of a traditional cache that I own, and with obviously arbitrary numbers (123 and 456).

This is a multi with instructions that are not very clear to a beginner, not a puzzle. I don't think the puzzle restriction applies here.
The relevant clause in the terms of use refers to "the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner." It isn't limited to puzzles.

That's why I demonstrated the basic concept with the coordinates of a traditional cache that I own, and with obviously arbitrary numbers (123 and 456).

Part of his question could be what is meant by the numbers in the first place. Specifically, "adding the numerical values of the words".

For example, if someone from another country asks "what is an ammo can" when reading from the cache page that the container is an ammo can, would describing what an ammo can is constitute a solution, hint, spoiler or hidden coordinates?

For example, if someone from another country asks "what is an ammo can" when reading from the cache page that the container is an ammo can, would describing what an ammo can is constitute a solution, hint, spoiler or hidden coordinates?
I don't think so. The information is already there. You're just helping them understand what "ammo can" means. It would be the same way if the cache description says that the container is a Bison tube, or a blinker, or a decon container, or a preform, or a Lock & Lock, or a centrifuge tube, or any other "standard" container.

Of course, sometimes standard container names are used as red herrings. Pointing out that an "ammo can" hide is listed as a micro (or as unknown size), and might be one of those novelty micro ammo can containers, well, that might be a spoiler. But explaining what an ammo can is (when the description says it's an ammo can) isn't a spoiler.

Of course, sometimes standard container names are used as red herrings. Pointing out that an "ammo can" hide is listed as a micro (or as unknown size), and might be one of those novelty micro ammo can containers, well, that might be a spoiler. But explaining what an ammo can is (when the description says it's an ammo can) isn't a spoiler.

Similarly, I think explaining what adding the numerical values of the words in this case is not a spoiler in my opinion. Telling him what the words are is a spoiler.