Dakota 20

MacGrumpy

I am using a Mac with Safari as my browser.

1) When I log on to the Geocaching web site I am recognised as a Premium member but my Dakota 20 does not recognise me as a Premium member e.g. I cannot access the description feature, I am advised to become a Premium member. How do I get the gps to acknowledge my Premium membership?

2) When I try to down load caches to my gps they down load only to my Mac, not to the gps. The only instruction I can see are to select the required caches and press the download button. What more do I need to do in order to get the caches onto my gps?

Recently become Premium?

If so, have you downloaded to the Dakota BEFORE becoming Premium?

Sounds like your Dakota has Non-Premium files (.loc files) within the unit. As such, it doesn't recognize the fact that you are PM -- Premium Members (generally) download .gpx files. Those file-types cannot be intermixed.

Delete any and all geocaching data loaded or generated (Finds, DNF's, etc.) to the unit before your PM took effect. After that, your unit should accept your downloads.

Recently become Premium?

Sounds like your Dakota has Non-Premium files (.loc files) within the unit. As such, it doesn't recognize the fact that you are PM -- Premium Members (generally) download .gpx files. Those file-types cannot be intermixed.

Delete any and all geocaching data loaded or generated (Finds, DNF's, etc.) to the unit before your PM took effect. After that, your unit should accept your downloads.

Recently become Premium?

Yep. My first thought/suggestion.

IF that's not it, come back and let us know. :)

I think that you are correct. I tried doing a factory re-set but that did not get rid of the Geocaching data. I tried to follow your suggestions but the only information I can find in the Garmin reference deleting files tells me to "Open the Garmin or SD card drive/volume" what does that mean as I cannot find any reference to drive/volume on my Mac. It then says "Highlight the file and press the delete key." But there are no instructions on how to find the correct files.

Sorry to appear thick but this is the first gps I have owned which connects to a pc and the Garmin instruction book is not very helpful. I tried to phone Garmin but after 15 minutes on hold I gave up!

Plug the unit to the computer, turn on unit -- then through the computer start-up menu, access the Garmin as a <drive>. If using an SD card, it will show that also. If using a card, the files will be on the card.

Remove (delete) anything with .loc extension.... NOTHING else.

EDIT to add: I see you are using a Mac. Before disconnecting the unit, you need to empty the trash. Otherwise those deleted files will not be deleted. A Mac quirk.

I am not familiar with accessing the unit as a <drive> on a Mac. I know it can be done, others do it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

As a start. You're on a Mac.

When you've emptied the unit of the files EMPTY the Bin/Trash before you disconnect the unit.

Connect the unit to the computor.

You should be able to navivigate through the files to a Garmin folder

eg Garmin Dacota > Garmin folder > GPX folder >

The GPX folder may have other folders in - Current, Archive, and another, and any gpx or loc files you've loaded.

Delete/move to Bin/Trash any gpx or loc files. Check the other folders in there and empty them.

(Any files needed by the unit will be re-created.)

If it's a new unit it may have pre-loaded caches... Delete them as well!

When you've emptied the unit of the files EMPTY the Bin/Trash before you disconnect the unit.

Thanks for that. I followed that easily enough but I do not have any .loc files. I do have about 20 .gpx files which seem to be local caches I loaded individually, but I can't remember if that was before or after I became a Premium member. If I have .gpx files why does the unit not see me as a Premium member?

Just to warn you... It's been a while since I've used a Mac! :laughing:

Having done the above, many suggest disconnecting the unit and starting it up.

It confirms to the unit there are no caches... Strange, but true!

Now you can reconnect to the computer and load the required files.

Easiest way is to Drag and Drop the gpx files (xxx.gpx and xxx wpts.gpx)into the Garmin folder that you previously emptied.

Worth a read > http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_garmin.pdf

Thanks for that. I followed that easily enough but I do not have any .loc files. I do have about 20 .gpx files which seem to be local caches I loaded individually, but I can't remember if that was before or after I became a Premium member. If I have .gpx files why does the unit not see me as a Premium member?

Delete those... you can always reload them.

Don't forget to empty the trash before disconnecting.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The units have a Default of Basic Member. This will 'override' any Premium Member caches/files.

That's why it's best to delete ALL previously loaded caches/files.

Edited by Bear and Ragged