caches needing work.

gonzogunner

I have run across several caches needing work. several are in lock n locks that are leaking and the logs are soaked(I will place a new log in a sealed baggy then report). others have logs that are full and new finders can't sign them or leave extra paper because they are so small. I know no cache box is perfect. they will all leak after awhile. I know if they don't leak the logs will soon fill up!!! why are the mod's not busting the stones of the people who have caches in need of repair? I have run across several reported missing. I know three I took hours looking for to make sure they were gone before I reported them needing repair!!!! the mods need to step it up and take down the dead caches!!! if the owners won't fix them take them down ASAP!! it hurts us to have so many dead caches.

Edited by gonzogunner

Just a clarification, there are "mods" who are moderators of forums, and reviewers, who review new caches and generally respond to issues.

Reviewers will not actively go perform search and destroy missions on troubled caches. If a cache has an issue, then a needs archived note should be posted on it. Reviewers will see these notes and take action if appropriate. If cachers are not reporting problem caches in need of repair or missing, then they will continue to need repair or be missing. I find many cachers don't want to post the needs archived notes because they don't want to be "that guy". But they should.

Just a clarification, there are "mods" who are moderators of forums, and reviewers, who review new caches and generally respond to issues.

Reviewers will not actively go perform search and destroy missions on troubled caches. If a cache has an issue, then a needs archived note should be posted on it. Reviewers will see these notes and take action if appropriate. If cachers are not reporting problem caches in need of repair or missing, then they will continue to need repair or be missing. I find many cachers don't want to post the needs archived notes because they don't want to be "that guy". But they should.

I had one such person in my area latey. they logged everything found and happy,happy,happy!!!! I had talked to the owner of the caches personally and he knows they are gone!!!!

something should be done!! I have reported them missing!!! I have sent e mails to owners telling them what is wrong after filling needs repair reports!!!!

nothing gets done!!!! I watch mine!!!! I load it up with cool trade items!!! to many moochers in my book!!!!! I at least leave two marbles in each one I find!!! for really good ones a I have special personalized pieces I leave. just to many moochers in my book.

Edited by gonzogunner

I see where you've posted a few "Needs Maintenance" logs. Reviewers are not automatically alerted when someone logs "Needs Maintenance."

If you log "Needs Archived" then a Reviewer will be alerted. I did not see any of those logs pending from your account.

Take some time to read about and understand the different log types. And, prepare to be disappointed when finding other caches in the future that are in need of maintenance. You'll be much happier if you focus on the scenery, the journey and the search for the cache instead of the cache's condition.

Once again the failure to log NA logs rears it's ugly head. The reluctance to use that log is a huge detriment to the community. A NM log doesn't get anything done.

Another method to prevent such personal frustration would be to use GSAK and after downloading caches delete all those whose last two logs are not finds. That makes life much. I we.

Hey gonzogunner, it's great that you're so enthusiastic about the game and you've already found more than 70 caches. As you go along, I think you'll come to understand that geocache reviewers try to give cache owners a bit of time, and the benefit of the doubt when it comes to cache maintenance.

While it's kind of lousy to find a wet cache with a soggy logbook, it's just one of those things that happens despite all the best intentions. If the reviewers were to try to crack down on every micro cache with a damp logbook and every cache with a DNF log, it wouldn't exactly foster good will with cache owners.

Remember, without cache owners, there would be no caches to find. Try to have a little bit of patience, log Needs Maintenance when you find issues, and remind yourself that this is supposed to be fun.

Edited by narcissa

Thanks for logging the NM attribute on those caches that need it. Sometimes life gets in the way of things, and a birth, illness or bereavement in the CO's family may delay taking care of things. Damp log books are annoying, but sometimes, however careful we are when signing in the rain, they get wet. Take the rough with the smooth and go on to the next cache. Above all, have fun!