Quick Help With a Strange Coordinate

coodie

OK, assume there is a puzzle cache. You figure out the first 2 sets of numbers, which are so far always the same as the coordinates given. Then you usually have to figure out the last 3.

Now, if you figure out the puzzle and you get the last 3 numbers of

2 12 1

For the north coordinate, what can you assume those should really be?

This isn't the actual coordinates given but let's say that N44 44.000 was given. The checker won't allow N44 44.2121 cause there is only supposed to be 3 digits after the decimal.

I've got 2 puzzle caches where I'm in the same situation. I'm about 92.4% sure I've got the puzzle solved, but can't figure out the coordinates from it. Any ideas?

I've found puzzle caches where the solution produces "extra precision", like

N 37° 25.502698 W 122° 06.834483

I've found puzzle caches where only the ones digit of multi-digit answers is used, so an answer of 428 would be interpreted as 8, and the 42 would be ignored.

I've found puzzle caches where the digits of multi-digits answers are added together, and then those digits are added together, and so on. So an answer of 428 would be interpreted as 4+2+8=14=1+4=5.

I've found puzzle caches where there were red-herring solutions, and the way to tell the red-herring solutions from the real solution was that the red-herring solutions produced nonsense for the later digits.

I've found puzzle caches where you would "carry" the extra digits, so if the answers were 4, 12, and 18, then they would be added like this:

.400 +

.120 +

.018 =

And I'm sure there are other variations. It's impossible to give a single definitive answer that applies to all puzzle caches.