2 Questions: 1 on Beacon and 1 on Trackables

coodie

Hi guys. Relatively new to caching here, but loving it and my son is as well.

2 quick questions:

1. In a lot of logs people talk about beacons. When I look up beacon in the geocaching dictionary is says it's "a beacon is a wireless device that transmits a brief message which can be used to find a geocache." But when talked about in logs, it sounds more like people are referring to landmarks, like a large tree, or a log that helps a person find where the cache is. Am I right with that thought? Or am I missing out on something, cause I only have my iPhone for finding caches at the moment. If there's some kind of audible signal that can assist me, please let me know.

2. Trackables. I have a couple questions on these. First is how long is too long to be holding these? Should I be taking them and then finding a spot within 24-48 hours to place them? I found this one trackable that had a note with it saying it's goal is to get back to Seattle. I'm going on a trip there next month, so I took it. Is that too long to hold it? Also with that trackable, while the note with it said the goal was Seattle, online the goal says it just wants to go as many places on the Earth as possible. Which should I believe?

Sorry that 2nd question was like a million questions rolled into 1, but I am a little confused on a particular trackable I have.

Thanks!

1. Certain parts of the country use the term "beacon" to refer to a possible spot for the cache, such as a tree or light pole. So yes, you deduced correctly.

2. Opinions vary. I think the general feeling is that it's OK to hold a trackable for about 2-3 weeks maximum. I would suggest contacting the owner of the trackable through his/her profile and explaining that you're going to Seattle in a month; should you hold the trackable until then, or should you place it in a more local cache? I've often gotten polite responses back when I've asked such a question. :) This will also (hopefully) clarify the TB's goal.

Edited by TriciaG

2. Trackables. I have a couple questions on these. First is how long is too long to be holding these? Should I be taking them and then finding a spot within 24-48 hours to place them? I found this one trackable that had a note with it saying it's goal is to get back to Seattle. I'm going on a trip there next month, so I took it. Is that too long to hold it? Also with that trackable, while the note with it said the goal was Seattle, online the goal says it just wants to go as many places on the Earth as possible. Which should I believe?

I'm relatively new to caching myself, but from what I've seen other cachers saying, you shouldn't worry about holding on to a bug for too long until you've had it for about two weeks, at which point you should definitely move it along.

As far as the goal goes, it's case by case. The note could be the original goal (which it might have made), and online might be a new, revised goal since it met the old one. Still, it couldn't hurt to send it toward Seattle, as long as it's hitting new places along the way! Or at least that's how I'd do it.

When in doubt though, I'd say contact the TB's owner.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll contact the TB owner. One problem was that I didn't know you could contact them ;)

On the TB's page it has Owner *Owners Name* Click on it and you get taken to their Profile page, where it will have: E-Mail Address: Send Message. Click on Send Message and a contact form will appear!

*Send Message may be replaced by an actual email address, click on it and you can still contact via GS, OR use the actual email address.

It would be a good idea to contact the trackable's owner, but if you can't contact them directly I wouldn't think twice about hanging on to it until your Seattle trip. If you were only able to move the trackable to just any cache I would say move it along, but since you are in a unique position to help it reach it's goal, I would lean toward that option. I'd recommend, though, that you write a log stating your intention so that if the owner is paying attention, they'll know that you're helping it toward its goal.

2. Trackables. <...>I found this one trackable that had a note with it saying it's goal is to get back to Seattle. I'm going on a trip there next month, so I took it. Is that too long to hold it? Also with that trackable, while the note with it said the goal was Seattle, online the goal says it just wants to go as many places on the Earth as possible. Which should I believe?

It's nice of you to consider all these questions, but don't be surprised if the Owner just asks you to place it locally, and NOT to take it to Seattle. It won't be that he's not appreciative, it just may be that there's certainly more fun in watching your Travel Bug go to Seattle in little five or ten mile hops, rather than just BANG it's there.

Otherwise, might as well just mail it.

Added: Didn't see the post (about three msgs up!) where the Owner did just this!

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
It's nice of you to consider all these questions, but don't be surprised if the Owner just asks you to place it locally, and NOT to take it to Seattle. It won't be that he's not appreciative, it just may be that there's certainly more fun in watching your Travel Bug go to Seattle in little five or ten mile hops, rather than just BANG it's there.

Funny you should mention that. There was a TB I found that wanted to see the Mississippi. The poor thing had been traveling for years, getting no closer. I took it. I asked the TBO if he wanted me to bring it back to Toronto with me after getting to the Mississippi, or if he wanted me to drop it in a cache and have it find its way back to Nova Scotia, where he was. He was quite happy to have me bring it back. So that thing traveled 3200 km (2000 mi) round trip with me. B) So some may want to see the journey; others may want to get their TB back!