Oregon 550t or eTrex 30

Hi, Everyone.

My Colorado 400t recently died; it is no longer connecting to my computer because of a faulty USB connection on the unit. Thus, I'm in the market for a new GPS unit for, of course, geocaching. My question is what would you recommend, the Oregon 550t or eTrex 30? Both are within about $40 (USD) of each other, so I could buy either one. I currently live in Qatar, so I'll be using it primarily while my work takes me away from my home state of California. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bryan

Hi, Everyone.

My Colorado 400t recently died; it is no longer connecting to my computer because of a faulty USB connection on the unit. Thus, I'm in the market for a new GPS unit for, of course, geocaching. My question is what would you recommend, the Oregon 550t or eTrex 30? Both are within about $40 (USD) of each other, so I could buy either one. I currently live in Qatar, so I'll be using it primarily while my work takes me away from my home state of California. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bryan

I'm in the market for a GPS, but this will be my first buy. Where are you finding Garmin's for $40??? Typo? I will be dual-using the GPS for geocaching and backpacking. Will the Oregon 600t be worth its cash in performance?

Thanks,

Athena

I think SoCal meant that they (Oregon 550T vs Etrex 30) have a difference in price of $40, not that you can find them for $40. Although that sure would be nice! :P

My humble opinion -- GLONASS is handy if you live in the northern latitudes and deal with canyons / urban areas / dense canopy. I've seen it drop down to 9 ft. EPE "accuracy" when enabled (Etrex 10), and that was under tree cover and surrounded by buildings. Although my limited understanding is that GLONASS doesn't really increase accuracy per se, but gives you more satellites to work with. The newer Etrex 10 / 20 / 30 line, the Oregon 600 line, and the GPSMAP 64 line all have the ability to utilize GLONASS.

The Oregon 450 / 550 line doesn't have GLONASS, but are no slouches, either. I've seen 11-12 ft. EPE "accuracy" on my 450 running the latest firmware.

Touch screen vs buttons preference applies here, too.

I've owned an Oregon 450 (the 550t less the camera and topo map) for a number of years and I also own an eTrex 30. I've been using the latter almost exclusively for the last several months. I like them both but they're two completely different units, most notably in screen size/type and price. A quick check at GPS City (Canada) shows the 550t at $399 and the eTrex 30 at $249. If there's only a $40 spread between the two where you can purchase it then I'm assuming the Oregon has come down in price because it's been discontinued. That maybe something for you to think about. My 450 and eTrex 30 are excellent receivers that I enjoy using. I recommend you do some comparison shopping that allows you to touch and feel the differences. GLONASS, as mentioned, may be of importance to you in your part of the world...something else to think about.

I had a 550T for about a week. I liked the screen size, touchscreen, camera, and topo maps. I had a very hard time reading it in certain conditions. Direct sunlight was fine but it was too dim when under the canopy of a forest. I sent it back and got a 62S instead. Yes the 62S has no touchscreen, camera, topo maps and a smaller screen. Brightness in any conditions made up for that for me. And there is plenty of free topos out there just as good (many better)as Garmin's.

I had a 550T for about a week. I liked the screen size, touchscreen, camera, and topo maps. I had a very hard time reading it in certain conditions. Direct sunlight was fine but it was too dim when under the canopy of a forest. I sent it back and got a 62S instead. Yes the 62S has no touchscreen, camera, topo maps and a smaller screen. Brightness in any conditions made up for that for me. And there is plenty of free topos out there just as good (many better)as Garmin's.

+1....also one of the reasons I like my 62 better than my Oregon is for one hand operation when I'm driving or holding a hiking stick.