How do I find new coordinates after I've figured them out?

LawDog_Gav

Hey guys :) I'm new to GCing (2 finds, started the Friday just passed) and I'm working on a new find which is a bit more challenging than my last two. For it, I had to figure out some questions to which the answers corresponded to numbers. From these numbers, I had to do some maths work in order to ultimately get the coordinates. So now I have them (I think) but I'm not sure how to find the updated coordinates. I have the c:geo app and the official app but neither of these seem to have a way to locate the new coordinates on a map. I've also tried looking for something on the internet that could do it to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

On the Official GS app -- project a waypoint associated with this cache. It allows for entry of those coordinates that you calculated.

Here are the app directions for use from the GS Help Center: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

As you did not say which system (Apple or Android), you'll have to pick which one.

I presume that the "other" app you named also will project a waypoint. I dunno, 'cuz it is not Groundspeak approved.

EDIT to add: Just in case -- this is applicable only to the full (paid) Official GS app. If you have the Intro-app (free), it will not work.

The Intro-app is designed to provide only "beginner" cache data. A multi Cache is not considered "beginner" -- therefore, you cannot project waypoints with it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Another option...

(Depending on which app)

On the cache page, there's a little pencil after the coordinates, which allow you to "Correct these coordinates"

If you put your new coordinates in there, a new waypoint will be added to the cache info you recieve, which will allow you to look for the cache at the new coordinates. :)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

If you're talking about the iPhone app, you have to be actually navigating to a cache to access this function. While navigating to a cache, in the Map view (not compass), tap the button in the upper right hand corner with the three dots on it. That will bring up the Additional Waypoints screen. Enter the new coordinates and hit Done (not either of the bottom options). Go back to the Map view and you will see a new flag icon on the map. Tap the flag and choose Set As Target.

On the app that shall not be named, from the cache details page swipe over to the left (the opposite way to the description and logs). There you can add or edit waypoints. Be sure to tap all the OK's and Save's. :) Then when they're on your list, tap the compass icon to navigate to it.

In the iPhone app I use, I can change the coordinates of a cache and it will move the pin on the map. It also changes the pin icon so that I can see at a glance that the coordinates have been updated.

Can this be done on the Geocaching.com website map?

In the iPhone app I use, I can change the coordinates of a cache and it will move the pin on the map. It also changes the pin icon so that I can see at a glance that the coordinates have been updated.

Can this be done on the Geocaching.com website map?

You can change the bogus coordinates on the cache listing page to your new coordinates.....only you will see the "new" coordinates when you are logged in to your account....everyone else will still see the original "bogus" coordinates. I think on the map you will see the cache at the new corrected coordinates, but it's the same cache icon it was before.

When you download the cache to your phone or GPS, or look up the cache with the app, you will get the "corrected" coordinates, again assuming you are logged in to your own account.