When to mark as found (Multi Cache)

xragex24

Quick question. When do you mark a multi cache as found? There is this one that im on stage 3 out of 4 and you cant read the cords cause of rain damage. I can get a response from the person that put it there so do I log it as found or no. Thanks

Was there a log to sign at stage 3? if so, did you sign it?

Off-hand, should the answer be no to either one, then I would not log it as Found.

The idea is to complete the stages to find the 'cache'. Anything outside of that (for any reason) constitutes a DNF.

With the writing washed away, I would also file a "Needs Maintence" log.

'Tis the way we see it....

Quick question. When do you mark a multi cache as found? There is this one that im on stage 3 out of 4 and you cant read the cords cause of rain damage. I can get a response from the person that put it there so do I log it as found or no. Thanks
In general, you log a multi-cache as found only after you find the final cache.

I've posted Notes for multi-caches that I had started working on, but hadn't completed. One multi-cache took me several trips, and after each trip, I posted an updated note that included the previous note's content at the end. Then I deleted the previous note, so I wouldn't be dominating the online logs with multiple notes. When I finally found it, I posted my Find, including the content from the notes, and deleted the last note.

In the case of a multi-cache where I can't proceed because there is an issue with one of the stages, I'd post a Needs Maintenance log. If the owner didn't respond, then after a month or so, I'd post a Needs Archived log.

I wouldn't log it until I find the final and sign the logbook. Think of it this way-if you are looking for a traditional that's 100 miles away, you wouldn't drive 75 miles then log it. Or if it's a puzzle and you just get the north co-ords but not the west, you wouldn't log it.

The most common way is to log only once you've found the final container, which is where the log book *should* be.

Maybe some folks put a log in each stage, but that seems silly to me. Why make it a multicache then?

If you log "found it" for each stage, your stats will be out of whack. Posting more than one "found it" log for the same GC code will make your "distinct" finds different than your "cache finds" number.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx

The general rule is one GC code = one "found it".

I've seen folks log "found it" on multicaches when they've only found the first stage. :rolleyes: I deleted that find, and got rid of all the crap they jammed in the film can.

B.