Only Have an Ipod Touch

grey_ryojin

Probably not. I would assume it doesn't have GPS capability. Here's a link: http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheipod/f/Ipod-Touch-Gps-Options.htm

EDIT: I will say, though, that there are folks who find geocaches without a GPS device. If you scout them out beforehand, use Google Earth or other satellite mapping, and observe landmarks well, you could find some caches that way.

Edited by TriciaG

Probably not. I would assume it doesn't have GPS capability. Here's a link: http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheipod/f/Ipod-Touch-Gps-Options.htm

EDIT: I will say, though, that there are folks who find geocaches without a GPS device. If you scout them out beforehand, use Google Earth or other satellite mapping, and observe landmarks well, you could find some caches that way.

Thank you for your quick reply!

So I can log them afterwards and they still count? I thought maybe using the GPS was how you proved you were there, but I can simply log it later and it will be just as valid?

So I can log them afterwards and they still count? I thought maybe using the GPS was how you proved you were there, but I can simply log it later and it will be just as valid?
I post virtually all my logs afterwards, when I'm at a real computer with a real keyboard. At the cache site, all I do is enter extremely terse field notes, which are basically shorthand memos to myself, so I remember what happened when I post the online logs later.

Anyway, all the GPS receiver (or GPS-enabled phone) does is get you to ground zero, where you can start your search. If you can do that without a GPS receiver, then you don't need the GPS receiver for finding geocaches. I found hundreds of geocaches without a GPS receiver when I first started.

There's more info in this video:

I'll say what I always say- a gps doesn't have to be $500. You can get them for under $100. Very basic, but it works. Same with the phone- but an old IPhone or Android for $50 or less. Against might not be the best but it works. The GPS doesn't prove you where there, it helps get you there. It's possible but may be very hard to find them without any form of GPS- I've done it before.

Go to an event meet some cachers. Go caching with them, who knows, someone has an old GPS they don't use. My point is by saying you have no way of caching, you don't. By finding a way you get that much more joy. You wanted something and you worked for it. Have a job? Pick up an extra shift or 2. Birthday coming up? Check you local classifieds online. Even if you have to wait a bit, you can buy a used unit for $50. You really don't need to get anything high end. And honestly trying without a GPS will probably make you a better cacher. That the beauty of geocaching, you could literally spend nothing and find thousands of caches or spend $30 for a membership, $10 for an app, $400 for a GPS only to go out twice and not do it anymore.

Get my point? If you want to cache find a way to do it. If it means working extra shifts for a GPS or trying without one do it.

^ this!

90% of my found caches have been done without any form of GPS device. The google maps links from the cache page should be your first port of call (if you're in the UK then the Bing map link also allows you to see an OS map view which, once you get down to 1:25 000, is pretty useful. Street view can be handy as well.

Just avoid places way out in the woods or without any obvious landmarks. Things like field boundaries are a helpful starting point- and make sure you look for at least "Small" caches which aren't too difficult first off.

Just for the heck of it, tried finding a cache using my iPad mini. No GPS features, but it got me to the general area. No idea how that worked, but I am not a techie and all I know is that WiFi in Tofino, BC isn't the best on the streets. Be sure to save it offline first.

Just for the heck of it, tried finding a cache using my iPad mini. No GPS features, but it got me to the general area. No idea how that worked, but I am not a techie and all I know is that WiFi in Tofino, BC isn't the best on the streets. Be sure to save it offline first.

edit to add: Maybe it worked as location services were turned on?