GPS unit

ksamonkey

To see logs and hints (and description) on a handheld GPS unit, you need one that can support paperless geocaching.

What is your budget? Garmin's entry level unit that supports paperless is the eTrex 10. eTrex 20 gets you color (might be better for maps).

Alternatively, you can get a used Oregon or Colorado.

Magellan makes geocaching friendly units too but I don't have experience with them.

To see logs and hints (and description) on a handheld GPS unit, you need one that can support paperless geocaching.

What is your budget? Garmin's entry level unit that supports paperless is the eTrex 10. eTrex 20 gets you color (might be better for maps).

Alternatively, you can get a used Oregon or Colorado.

Magellan makes geocaching friendly units too but I don't have experience with them.

Magellan has been good to me as an entry level GPSr, very user friendly for someone new to caching. I'm upgrading to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 now but will keep the Magellan as a backup / second GPSr for my partner in crime.

I would say don't go for the etrex 10, it doesn't have a map and you can't load one on to it. Sure it's cheaper than the etrex 20 but we only used it for 3 months before we got really frustrated with it and upgraded.

I broke down and got an Explorist 310 on ebay. It's "barely used" and I got it for $60...so I'm hoping this will help save my phone's battery life. I'll probably still have it with me and open when I'm caching, but will only use it for opening cache descriptions and logging purposes and not so much for mapping and wayfinding. GPS is a big battery-eater for a phone and I've noticed my phone has frequent temperamental bouts where it will lock up or send me 100 feet in the wrong direction, forcing me to reboot the phone.

I broke down and got an Explorist 310 on ebay. It's "barely used" and I got it for $60...so I'm hoping this will help save my phone's battery life. I'll probably still have it with me and open when I'm caching, but will only use it for opening cache descriptions and logging purposes and not so much for mapping and wayfinding. GPS is a big battery-eater for a phone and I've noticed my phone has frequent temperamental bouts where it will lock up or send me 100 feet in the wrong direction, forcing me to reboot the phone.

That's a great price, hope you have fun with it. An alternative (or perhaps in addition) is to get a USB battery pack for the phone. A handheld is more rugged and, in certain situations, get a better location fix (though it may take longer to get an initial fix), but there is something to be said for the convenience of a smartphone in urban caching.

That's a great price, hope you have fun with it. An alternative (or perhaps in addition) is to get a USB battery pack for the phone. A handheld is more rugged and, in certain situations, get a better location fix (though it may take longer to get an initial fix), but there is something to be said for the convenience of a smartphone in urban caching.

Yeah...it's served me well for over 600 caches. Every so often, though, I hit areas with little to no cellular signal which not only slows or locks down the app, but also chews through the battery like crazy. A battery pack wouldn't help with the first problem and would probably still cost almost as much as I paid for the GPSr.

A battery pack wouldn't help with the first problem and would probably still cost almost as much as I paid for the GPSr.

They've dropped significantly in price recently. Today's Amazon Gold Box, for example, has a PNY 7800 mAh pack for $28. That should be enough to recharge a phone 3 times. A 5200 mAh pack is $20. I don't have experience with the PNY model, I just happened to see the deal this morning. Personally I use a Motorola P4000. I also have a Noco which is a combination 250 lumens flashlight / USB battery pack combo, but that's stupid expensive and does cost about as much as your GPSr. Don't ask me why I have it if it's stupid :)

I'm not sure about the eXplorist 310, but did try running the Oregon 450 off a USB power pack (with a mini USB cable). It works on some but not all power packs. Because the power draw is too low, sometimes the power pack shuts off.

Edited by Chrysalides