News about our friend Jim Buzz

Ladybuggers!

To all of the local cachers who have been concerned about the situation with Jim Buzz.

Jim Buzz passed away on July 12, 2002.

He had been diagnosed with brain cancer in May of 2002. Shortly after that is when he realized that he would not be able to geocache anymore. With that in mind, he placed the cache in his front yard, so that other cachers would come to see him and he could still be an active participant in caching in anyway possible. Unfortunately, only a few of us were able to talk with Jim after that.

Jim was an avid four-wheeler. In fact, he was well known in the industry. His real name was Jim Dordaller. If you do a web search for his name you will find numerous sites that tell of his adventures. His last cache finds were in the Moab, Utah area in April of 2002. That is where Jim waited to go every year. His true love was the 4x4 world.

Jim had an ongoing fight with kidney stones. In fact, that is what put him into the hospital on July 5, 2002. While in the hospital his condition deteriorated significantly and he passed away a week later.

I talked to the executor of his estate and asked if they would permit his cache to go on in memory of Jim. They were very willing. I have asked geocaching to transfer the ownership of the cache to me so I can maintain it. I will edit the cache page with a small story in Jim’s honor.

The cache can be found at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26885

This is very sad news. I knew Jim was ill for some time, but didn't know how bad it was.

It's was very nice of you, Jamie, to continue maintaining Jim's cache in his honor. We found the Vulture's Reward cache last year. I remember it well because we had a hard time finding the right driveway. What a steep driveway and a great view!

I think I remember Jim from the Cincy Geocaching picnic last year. Wasn't he the one with a larger dash-mount GPS and an external battery pack. He seemed so dedicated to the sport!

Place a cache for us up their, Jim. We'll log it one of these days icon_redface.gif(

Cheers ... Jim

I am really sorry to hear that Jim was a great guy. Draegon and I went to find keenher kache with Jim and we had a great time. I also enjoyed his company at the picnic back in april. Lets remember the time he replaced a cache that had gone missing in Mt. Airy forest.

Jim used to make jokes about never getting to be first finder to a cache because of the "Vultures" as he referred to a select group of us at that time. So I dedicated my first find today to him.

Stonelicks secret Jim I am glad to have met you and I will not forget the caching we shared.