PQ to GPS

Dewns

When I made a PQ it shows the finds and the caches that I placed but when I downloaded it to my gps it doesn't show them found nor does it show them as mine. It just shows little green cache boxes waiting to be opened Anybody have any ideas why or what I did wrong I have a Oregon 450 & I use EasyGps.

I think-and I may be wrong- that you would have to mark them as found in your GPS. The GPS doesn't know who you are, it just reads the info that's there, which is description, name, logs, etc. All marking it as found in the GPS does is change the icon, which you could do manually....

But if they are on the geocaching site as mine and I have logged them as found.... And to make it more interesting when I upload the PQ on my phone it shows them as smilies and as stars crazy

I think-and I may be wrong- that you would have to mark them as found in your GPS. The GPS doesn't know who you are, it just reads the info that's there, which is description, name, logs, etc. All marking it as found in the GPS does is change the icon, which you could do manually....

But if they are on the geocaching site as mine and I have logged them as found.... And to make it more interesting when I upload the PQ on my phone it shows them as smilies and as stars crazy

Like TDM said, your GPS doesn't know who you are. It just shows a bunch of caches that were downloaded to it, it doesn't know (or care) who they belong to. You're not "logged in" to your GPS. Your phone, on the other hand, does know who you are (because you are logged in to the app)....therefore it knows which caches belong to you, which ones you have found and not found, etc.

thanks

Like TDM said, your GPS doesn't know who you are. It just shows a bunch of caches that were downloaded to it, it doesn't know (or care) who they belong to. You're not "logged in" to your GPS. Your phone, on the other hand, does know who you are (because you are logged in to the app)....therefore it knows which caches belong to you, which ones you have found and not found, etc.

Because you haven't "found" your own caches (that's considered bad form), that is, written a "Found It" log on your own cache page, then the PQ only recognises your cache as a cache waiting to be found. That's why the cache symbol is unopened. In your PQ, had you ticked the "I don't own" box in the "That (And)" section, then your caches would not be included in the PQ. Can I ask why you wanted to include your own caches in a PQ? The only reason I can think of is that you are showing a friend or newbie about geocaching and want them to use your GPS to find your cache. Is there another reason? :)

when I go out looking for a place to put a new one I look to see how close any cache is to the new spot so that I don't mess up placing one too close to another.

Because you haven't "found" your own caches (that's considered bad form), that is, written a "Found It" log on your own cache page, then the PQ only recognises your cache as a cache waiting to be found. That's why the cache symbol is unopened. In your PQ, had you ticked the "I don't own" box in the "That (And)" section, then your caches would not be included in the PQ. Can I ask why you wanted to include your own caches in a PQ? The only reason I can think of is that you are showing a friend or newbie about geocaching and want them to use your GPS to find your cache. Is there another reason? :)

when I go out looking for a place to put a new one I look to see how close any cache is to the new spot so that I don't mess up placing one too close to another

That's an idea but I just use the old Google Maps to work out distances between surrounding caches and where I want to place my cache, (keeping in mind that waypoints and finals for multis and puzzle caches aren't visible.)

I'm experiencing something a little different than is being described in this thread. My GPS (eTrex 20)knows when I have previously found a cache.

When I download a single cache GPX file or PQ it contains a <SYM> </SYM> field that describes the type of icon to display. The GPS doesn't know who I am, but the creator of the file does and populates GEOCACHE FOUND if it is a cache I have found. When the file is loaded on the GPS it uses the SYM field to display the open box on the map screen. While the cache is not listed in "recent finds" on the e20, it is also not offered as an unfound cache that I can select to navigate to. I can select the previously found cache via the map screen and click GO if I want to navigate to it.