nOOb did i mess up already

Squiblez

So i downloaded the FREE version of the geocaching app a few weeks ago and we decided to go out today and finally find our first cache (it was in front of our neighborhood). We had fun and decided to buy the premium membership through the free app. We just did the 3 month membership to start out with for now. I thought that by becoming a premium member that would upgrade us to the better phone app but it did not. So im not sure if i messed up or not. if i were to have bought the better app would that have made me a premium member or do you have to buy the better app and a premium member?

Thank you in advance for the help.

So i downloaded the FREE version of the geocaching app a few weeks ago and we decided to go out today and finally find our first cache (it was in front of our neighborhood). We had fun and decided to buy the premium membership through the free app. We just did the 3 month membership to start out with for now. I thought that by becoming a premium member that would upgrade us to the better phone app but it did not. So im not sure if i messed up or not. if i were to have bought the better app would that have made me a premium member or do you have to buy the better app and a premium member?

Thank you in advance for the help.

The Paid app and Premium membership are two separate things. The purchase of one does not give you the other. You did nothing wrong.

The premium membership gets you access to premium features which, from what I hear, make the paid app worth using. Granted, you can use the paid app with a free membership and do just fine, but the paid membership comes with some perks that may convince you to pay $30 for the full year and keep renewing. Most of those perks come in handy if you live in a place where most of your geocaching is done out of cellular/wireless range. But if that's the case, you might find yourself switching over to a dedicated GPS, and the paid membership is invaluable when paired with a GPS.

You didn't do anything wrong. The paid Geocaching app and Premium membership on Geocaching.com are two different things and are purchased seperately. Purchasing one does not get you the other.

There has been a LOT of discussion on the Forum the last few months regarding this topic. Seems the upgrade option within the app doesn't give you a clear description of exactly what you are upgrading. So many newbies end up paying for a Premium membership when they actually wanted to buy the paid app. You're not the first, don't feel bad. Groundspeak is reportedly redesigning the Upgrade option to make it more clear.

The premium membership gets you access to premium features which, from what I hear, make the paid app worth using. Granted, you can use the paid app with a free membership and do just fine, but the paid membership comes with some perks that may convince you to pay $30 for the full year and keep renewing. Most of those perks come in handy if you live in a place where most of your geocaching is done out of cellular/wireless range. But if that's the case, you might find yourself switching over to a dedicated GPS, and the paid membership is invaluable when paired with a GPS.

All of those perks work just as well using a smartphone, as they do with a GPS. The only thing the app does, that can't be done with a grips is its connected to the Internet- you can get caches, log caches, without having to transfer anything to/from the GPS.