Found unlisted cache

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and doing our first post.

We were looking for the two caches along Aquia Creek at Smith Lake Park in 22554 zip code. We found a third cache. It was a plastic container with screw on lid. The lid and the container were both broken. Most of the stuff in it was waterlogged. The log book was in a ziplock bag and in pretty good shape. It was almost exactly between the two caches that are shown on the map. The coordinates were N 38º 29.202 W 077º 23.665. The first entry in the log book was dated 9/29/06 and the last entry was 3/9/08.

I haven't figured out how to search the archived caches yet, but a search by coordinates brings up nothing.

Being newbies, we didn't bring a pen or pencil along, but we put everything back where we found it. Right move?

Anyway to flag the owner for maintenance?

Thanks...

Contact either or both the cache owners of the caches you found to see if they remember an abandoned cache near theirs. If either of them is a premium member, they may be able to click on their cache to see nearby caches that have a red line through them (archived).

I include a "stash sheet" with my name and address when I hide a cache.

You are well on your way to becoming a great geocacher if you can find archived caches without having them entered in the GPS.

Right move.

Could be an Archived cache on Groundspeak.

Could be a cache listed on another site. (Yes, there are other caching sites!)

Be aware that it could be a final for a Multi-cache or Unknown/Puzzle cache and posting the coordinates could 'spoil' the cache... (However, as the last log is dated 2008, you should be OK)

Sometimes it could be a cache that was hidden, but never published for one reason or another (Often due to proximity) and not removed by the cache owner.

Hopefully a reviewer will come along and answer the question. :)

http://coord.info/GCT86R

You probably found the remains of Dr. Stone's Mill.

Also, before anyone suggests re-listing it, it has proximity issues with the other two caches mentioned in the original post.

One of which has just about the same name, and the description mentions the previous cache that it is replacing!

And. No point flagging it for Maintenance if it's Archived...

(However, Cache in Trash out... )

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Also, before anyone suggests re-listing it, it has proximity issues with the other two caches mentioned in the original post.

One of which has just about the same name, and the description mentions the previous cache that it is replacing!

And. No point flagging it for Maintenance if it's Archived...

(However, Cache in Trash out... )

Hey, I had a post totally deleted from this thread. :ph34r: Better than being banned, I suppose, but a notification of some sort would have been nice.

Well, I don't see an issue with the OP logging that as a find. Now for what I'm quoting, Cache in, Trash out? That's a VERY interesting question. It has been established that this cache is not listed anywhere else. But it still belongs to the owner. Some would say it's not ours (The Geocaching community's) cache to Trash out, it still belongs to the owner. Not saying I agree with that 100%, but I have seen that debate before.

If it's clearly abandoned by the owner, it's 1. a topic of the community to have a clean sport, 2. geotrash to be CITO'd. At least its archived since a while despite still beeing in place and the owner seems not to be active any more. Seems pretty certain to be geotrash.

Log a note that you have the cache and are willing to give it back until some weeks/months. Store it somewhere for that while. Logging a find additionally would be OK in my view.

Edited by Ben0w

Bingo!!! That is exactly what we found. I looked at the pics in the gallery and that is the one.

If it's still there the next time we get down there I'll pull it and post for the owner to come get it. There wasn't much left besides the logbook in a baggy, a rusty fishing lure and a few waterlogged items I didn't recognize.

Since the log seemed to cover three years, my guess is that it might have been placed by a military person and it got abandoned when they shipped out.

Thanks...

Very cool. Always fun to find an archived cache.

I found this one 8 years after archival...Interestingly, the cacher owner emailed me and was glad I found it. The reason it got archived is because they had gone to do maintenance on it and couldn't remember where they hid it...

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCJKHJ_sportmania?guid=8d34ca0a-c370-440c-aa4e-455bc99e9058

Well, I don't see an issue with the OP logging that as a find. Now for what I'm quoting, Cache in, Trash out? That's a VERY interesting question. It has been established that this cache is not listed anywhere else. But it still belongs to the owner. Some would say it's not ours (The Geocaching community's) cache to Trash out, it still belongs to the owner. Not saying I agree with that 100%, but I have seen that debate before.

That debate is about as silly as saying you shouldn't pick up an empty water bottle/soda can/cigarette pack, etc. that some slob threw on the ground. After all, someone bought those things and they "own" them, right? That is their property. Maybe they don't want it moved. Please.

If the "owner" of this trash has issues with someone throwing away the junk they left laying out in the woods, the next time they'll do the responsible thing and retrieve it themselves. It's not a cache, it's garbage and should be picked up and thrown away.

That debate is about as silly as saying you shouldn't pick up an empty water bottle/soda can/cigarette pack, etc. that some slob threw on the ground. After all, someone bought those things and they "own" them, right? That is their property. Maybe they don't want it moved. Please.

If the "owner" of this trash has issues with someone throwing away the junk they left laying out in the woods, the next time they'll do the responsible thing and retrieve it themselves. It's not a cache, it's garbage and should be picked up and thrown away.

I agree with Crow-T-Robot. The debate is silly because at some point the cache is abandoned and goes from being someone's property to garbage.

If you really want to make an issue of it, you can write in your Found log that you will be happy to return the cracked container and moldy logbook to the owner if they want it. I have done this many times and even with the cache owners I manage to get a response from, nobody has ever wanted their cache back.

Case in point, the brown stuff is 'swag'.

67fedc46-6d70-49a5-bc1c-cef603226a95.jpg