Placing treasure

Hyang

Am I allowed to place fragile things inside a cache? Like for instance origami made out of regular paper like post it notes and etc.?

The killer is water that gets inside the container and stays that way for a long time (from rain when opened, or from leaks while closed). If you place origami that folds flat, at least use a ziplock bag. If it's a design that would be OK if it were laminated flat, even better. Or if it's a small enough 3D shape, seal it inside a little plastic box. Some people would love to find an origami item, if it's not all wet & moldy when they do.

You might be surprised how much water gets inside an un-mangled, unopened ziplock bag over time in a cache container. Enough to ruin the paper item in the bag.

If you have a good sized container like an ammo box, you can put fragile things ins a smaller container inside. That should protect them. I've encountered fragile things like Christmas tree ornaments in caches that were in good shape and I've encountered broken things. It's a matter of how they are packaged and how gently searchers handle the contents.

Edited by briansnat

I think it would be cool, so just take into account the other responses: limit your origami drops to caches that are visited every day or two, and mention in your log what you dropped and that you'd appreciate the next finder taking it with them while it's still fresh.