Winter geocaching

Hyang

So I've decided that I would start geocaching. The thing is though, being in Minnesota there is still snow on the ground. I was wondering what happens to the caches during Winter time and/or what you do with them if it snows? Also, can you geocache during Winter? I'm not sure if this is a common question and if it's been asked or not but yeah. Is there geocaching during snow and Winter?

I don't know anyone that pulls their caches when winter comes. If they did I'm sure they would have to archive it. If you check the cache attributes for each cache, if the CO marks it, there is one that lists it as a winter friendly cache.

Edited by DonB

Around here in New Brunswick, many caches are placed above snow level. Over the years we have found about 4000 caches between December and March. Caches on islands and in swampy areas are often easier to get in winter.

Around here we have a number of events that involve snowshoeing and walking across water to islands

I don't know anyone that pulls their caches when winter comes. If they did I'm sure they would have to archive it. If you check the cache attributes for each cache, if the CO marks it, there is one that lists it as a winter friendly cache.

Thanks. I'll have to check the caches for being winter friendly.

Around here in New Brunswick, many caches are placed above snow level. Over the years we have found about 4000 caches between December and March. Caches on islands and in swampy areas are often easier to get in winter.

Around here we have a number of events that involve snowshoeing and walking across water to islands

Thanks. I just recently found out there's a cache on the island on the lake I live by. What sucks is the snow is melting and now it's probably too dangerous to walk across the lake to get there.

Thanks. I just recently found out there's a cache on the island on the lake I live by. What sucks is the snow is melting and now it's probably too dangerous to walk across the lake to get there.

Though there are never any guarantees with ice, we still have over a foot of ice on many northern NJ lakes and I was ice fishing yesterday. So I suspect that the ice on most Minnesota lakes is fine. In an ice fishing forum I frequent anglers from Minnesota were still reporting two feet or more of ice. You can drive a tractor trailer on 2 feet of ice. Just be sure not to do it alone, and to be super safe each of you bring some rope and if you have a PFD wear it under your coat. And don't be afraid to turn back, no cache is worth your life.

I'm from a different part of the world but i'd imagine Geocaching season would be in the summer, but that wouldn't stop you from doing it in Winter. I'm sure your experience may be more awesome in Winter for some

We hardly ever cache in the summer! Too many bugs, active poisonous plants and summer clothing, and too much sweat! :lol:

Our season is Fall, Winter, and Spring when it is cooler.

I'm from a different part of the world but i'd imagine Geocaching season would be in the summer, but that wouldn't stop you from doing it in Winter. I'm sure your experience may be more awesome in Winter for some

We hardly ever cache in the summer! Too many bugs, active poisonous plants and summer clothing, and too much sweat! :lol:

Well there you go! This year I am going to start caching in the Winter (from Australia) however I always seem to attract leeches during these months. :mad: Summer is great for me because it's dry and i've never seen snow so I don't know just how awesome a North American winter can be

Well there you go! This year I am going to start caching in the Winter (from Australia) however I always seem to attract leeches during these months. :mad: Summer is great for me because it's dry and i've never seen snow so I don't know just how awesome a North American winter can be

So, you see, winter and summer mean entirely different things between us. We're NEVER gonna get leeches in winter around here! :lol:

It really comes down to how comfortable you are (or not) and if you're prepared to make whatever adjustments you might need to do to cache.