oahu, hawaii - found strange chinese/japanese cache?!?

IndelibleDotInk

i live in honolulu, hawaii. while looking for this cache, my cellphone was getting spotty reception, and i looked on the wrong beach access path. using the clue from the cache i thought i was looking for, i found a japanese or chinese cache!

it's not on this site, or any other i could find, but i can't read either chinese and japanese.

i will try to go back and take a pic tomorrow or sometime soon.

has anyone encountered this before?

of course i signed it!

Edited by indelibledotink

i live in honolulu, hawaii. while looking for this cache, my cellphone was getting spotty reception, and i looked on the wrong beach access path. using the clue from the cache i thought i was looking for, i found a japanese or chinese cache!

it's not on this site, or any other i could find, but i can't read either chinese and japanese.

i will try to go back and take a pic tomorrow or sometime soon.

has anyone encountered this before?

of course i signed it!

Hmmm... Interesting?!?! Don't remember any older (archived) caches around there that would fit your description. Can't wait to see the pics :grin: .

If you found the cache along the beach, imagine how cool it would be if it turned out the cache drifted across from Japan after the terrible tsunami disaster. It's worth translating whatever the writing is that you saw in the cache.

Can you give more details? Did it look like the cache may have washed up onto the shore, or was it hidden with intention?

If you found the cache along the beach, imagine how cool it would be if it turned out the cache drifted across from Japan after the terrible tsunami disaster. It's worth translating whatever the writing is that you saw in the cache.

Can you give more details? Did it look like the cache may have washed up onto the shore, or was it hidden with intention?

ok, so i was looking for Lanikai beach access #1 / GC1WWKB, but actually went down a different beach access path. the clue from GC1WWKB led me to search the area i was in (not GZ for the cache i was looking for), and i found this strange cache. it was where GC1WWKB would have been if i was in the right area. it was very very well hidden, not randomly washed up on the shoreline. in an unbelievable moment for this area, no muggles were about, and i retreated to study it and ponder. i believe it is japanese, i recall a yen symbol on the case. a total 'wtf' moment.

leaving to take pics right now!

there are hiragana and katakana plus kanji. i have no idea what it means, but it's japanese.

sinister conspiracy or innocent game? there is nothing on google about "lanikai post," but that's just the english webpages.

i wrote my email address and 'who are you? tell me your story' after my message. perhaps they will email me... or i might just disappear.

the box

the message

signatures

more sigs

lmk what you think

Doing some Google searches I found references to the Lanikai Pillbox Trail in Kailua. I thought with "Lanikai Post" there may be some forum somewhere but I could not find anything obvious. I'm wondering if this is not some kind of trail log for something like a Japanese hiking group or something much like summit books/logs/registers.

I dunno. All speculation here!

no, the pillbox hike is another area of lanikai. the trailhead is near the golf course, mauka side.

the box i found was on the main public access path to the beach, makai side of the park.

i will show the pics to my grandma on sunday, maybe there will be hints in the comments.

if anyone reads japanese and can search the japanese webpages for clues, it may shed some light on it.