photos on monterra

Just so you know... Pocket Queries do not include the gallery photo data. It will not load those photos.

Presumably there is a work-around (at least for some units)... try reading further down in this forum, there are a couple of discussions about it. I do not know if they address the Monterra at all.

Oke thanks for the info.

That won't work. Since it is an android GSAK can't send caches to it. It does not hook up as a drive but a media device which is a whole different protocol than mass storage.none of the Macros work for it. There is a long discussion oner on the GSAK board but at this point it requires installing at least one additional program on it and special handling by Clyde which is still in the working on it phase. I was considering the monterra until I saw I would have to give up GSAK.

That won't work. Since it is an android GSAK can't send caches to it. It does not hook up as a drive but a media device which is a whole different protocol than mass storage.none of the Macros work for it. There is a long discussion oner on the GSAK board but at this point it requires installing at least one additional program on it and special handling by Clyde which is still in the working on it phase. I was considering the monterra until I saw I would have to give up GSAK.

look att this treath att #5...http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=318366&st=0&p=5335109&hl=monterra&fromsearch=1entry5335109

this works great

Edited by Team Fridhem

look att this treath att #5...http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=318366&st=0&p=5335109&hl=monterra&fromsearch=1entry5335109

this works great

That does work but in the end (as I said) you have to hook up the Monterra and drag and drop those files over. Another method is to removed the sdcard that has the Garmin/GPX directory on it, plug it into the computer and then write to it and finally return it to the device. Either way the problem still is since it is an Android system GSAK and otehr programs can't write directly to it. Not Garmin's fault but it is something they should have considered before taking the path.

You can also use the basic GPX export instead of the macro which allows you to choose any location on your hard drive and then drag/drop it in.

Edited by Walts Hunting

So, then, if the Monterra won't mount in mass-storage mode, how do you get PQ files on it at all? Even the old-fashioned way?

It would suprise me if you couldn't use Garmin's own BaseCamp software to accomplish this、does it not work?

Edited by coggins

That's an interesting question buti would bet no since it doesn't Mount asaa drive. Hippie someone will test it.

If you are referring to my question, it is answered on the published product page "Plus, you can share large files like photos and data from field work through BaseCamp™ or by downloading it directly to your computer."

It works in media transfer mode, just like my Nexus phone and my Nexus tablet (both of which I find inadequate as GPS devices). The advantage over mass storage mode is that you can have the Monterra plugged in and it continues to work, it does not turn into a slow disk drive with a picture of a computer on its screen like my GPSmap 62.

I have not tried the Monterra with Windows, just with a Mac and Linux. I submitted the patch to make it work with Linux, if you use Linux ask me about it or wait for an update.

For transferring GPX files, I use Dropbox and Astro Filemanager (over WiFi). I save the GPX into Dropbox on my computer, then on the Monterra I use Astro to navigate to the file. When I try to open the GPX file in Astro it gives me choices, one of which is "Import GPX" and when I select that, Garmin grabs it.

Other choices available depend on what you have installed ie "Locus", "c:geo" etc.

The Monterra "quickstart" tells how to download caches from Opencaching.com, which is pretty useless. In Novemeber, I wrote to tech support to ask how to do it with GPX files. Still waiting for a response. I am sure they will get back to me any day now.

The 62 is still a far better geocaching device, but that's not why I bought a Monterra.