what qualifies as a 'physical' container?

24hawki

Looking to place a multi-cache in my area where the interim stages are metal tags with engraved or UV coordinates. Is the 'metal tag' a "physical container" that falls under the saturation rule that requires a 528 foot gap from other non-related cache container locations? I found a multi-cache in Indiana where the first stage was a tag inside of the 528 foot radius of another nearby cache. "Virtual" locations where information needs to be observed/acquired are allowed, as far as I know. Obviously, the tags would not be a container that needs to be opened to acquire next stage information. Need help and clarification!!

Looking to place a multi-cache in my area where the interim stages are metal tags with engraved or UV coordinates. Is the 'metal tag' a "physical container" that falls under the saturation rule that requires a 528 foot gap from other non-related cache container locations? I found a multi-cache in Indiana where the first stage was a tag inside of the 528 foot radius of another nearby cache. "Virtual" locations where information needs to be observed/acquired are allowed, as far as I know. Obviously, the tags would not be a container that needs to be opened to acquire next stage information. Need help and clarification!!

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

1. Fundamental Placement Guidelines

7. Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart.

A physical stage is defined as any waypoint that contains a physical element placed by the cache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages, including reference points, trail-head/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints, are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of cache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline as they do not have physical waypoints.

B.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

1. Fundamental Placement Guidelines

7. Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart.

A physical stage is defined as any waypoint that contains a physical element placed by the cache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages, including reference points, trail-head/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints, are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of cache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline as they do not have physical waypoints.

B.

Just trying to place a multi-cache that highlights good tourism spots to visit in my community within the theme of 'visit our town'. The locations that are appropriate have other physical caches within 528 feet, but not at the best spot to enjoy the location. Bummer. Apparently too many rules/guidelines to put out a nice "tourist friendly" cache. Thanks "B" for your input.

A good rule of thumb: If you are placing any object into the environment in order to provide a clue, then it counts as a physical stage. If you are relying solely upon an object that someone else has placed in the environment, like a sign, utility pole code, benchmark or gravestone, this is a virtual stage. Physical stages are subject to the Cache Saturation guideline. Virtual stages aren't.

If you can't put out a physical stage, then you can put out a virtual stage instead. Use an existing plaque, monument, sculpture, or other object, and have seekers collect information (dates, names, words, whatever) from those objects. Downtown Campbell Walking Tour is an example of such a cache. The only physical stage is the final cache. The other 15 stages use existing objects, and therefore are not affected by the saturation guidelines.

If you can't put out a physical stage, then you can put out a virtual stage instead. Use an existing plaque, monument, sculpture, or other object, and have seekers collect information (dates, names, words, whatever) from those objects. Downtown Campbell Walking Tour is an example of such a cache. The only physical stage is the final cache. The other 15 stages use existing objects, and therefore are not affected by the saturation guidelines.

Thanks Darin, but that is my problem. Available 'information' at each selected GZ stage isn't easy, unless I want someone to count trees, if you get my drift. I appreciate your input though. Thank you!

Available 'information' at each selected GZ stage isn't easy, unless I want someone to count trees,

How about building addresses. Or number of dormers. Or number of windows on the 2nd floor of the yellow house across the street. I wouldn't use trees or bushes as they get cut down more often than buildings are remodeled or painted.

Or even.. Go to the posted coords and admire the cool building. Then walk east until you see a red bench. Sit down and project a waypoint 900 feet at 189 degrees. Go there and find the cache.