UK 4g Coverage and GPS

BearT

I'm currently using along side a tradional GPS, an iPhone 4s on the Vodafone network.

However for those moments that I happen to have time to do a cache and dash, I have to rely on the iPhone.

Now without getting into a completely seperate issue of Vodafone's terrible coverage (I bearly manage a GPRS signal, let alone an "E" or if my iPhone has gone completely wrong a 3g signal)

I'm looking for input regarding the best network coverage using an iPhone 5s of which will be running on 4g.

What network provider do you use? and is the iPhone GPS improved with a 4g signal?

Any help would be appriciated.

I'm currently using along side a tradional GPS, an iPhone 4s on the Vodafone network.

However for those moments that I happen to have time to do a cache and dash, I have to rely on the iPhone.

Now without getting into a completely seperate issue of Vodafone's terrible coverage (I bearly manage a GPRS signal, let alone an "E" or if my iPhone has gone completely wrong a 3g signal)

I'm looking for input regarding the best network coverage using an iPhone 5s of which will be running on 4g.

What network provider do you use? and is the iPhone GPS improved with a 4g signal?

I use O2 with an iPhone 5s (but not using 4G). Coverage in towns is fine, but for caching I rarely stay in towns and there are loads of gaps out in the wild. From my experience it seems no better or worse than the other networks in this respect, but O2 do at least have a reasonably honest charging system.

I far prefer to use an Oregon over the phone. The iPhone GPSr is quite respectable, but I can think of no reason why 4G should improve it by one iota.

Rgds, Andy

4g using an iPhone = you will DNF faster?

Use your iPhone to get a notification of a new cache going live. If it's an oregon then your in luck. Take the coordinate info from the iPhone and select a puzzle cache you have not done on the GPS. Then select go. Then click the treasure chest symbol. Scroll down click enter next stage, then click coordinates in and go. Simple. Fiddly whilst driving especially on narrow lanes but you get used to it :-)

I use O2 with an iPhone 5s (but not using 4G). Coverage in towns is fine, but for caching I rarely stay in towns and there are loads of gaps out in the wild. From my experience it seems no better or worse than the other networks in this respect, but O2 do at least have a reasonably honest charging system.

I far prefer to use an Oregon over the phone. The iPhone GPSr is quite respectable, but I can think of no reason why 4G should improve it by one iota.

Rgds, Andy

I moved to an iphone 5 on EE 4G myself a few months ago. Noticed the difference in GPS accuracy immediately. The new GPSr that Apple have put in the iphone 5/5S (it's the same one in both) is miles better than the old one used in the iphone 4.

Got to say, I think I agree with above though. I don't see how whether you're on 4G or 3G will make a difference to location accuracy. I'm pretty sure the two systems (GPS and Data) are completelyt seperate? I could well be wrong though.

Having said that though: 4G is great for many other reasons (if you live somewhere with 4G coverage like a big town or city). When I'm stuck with 3G it... just... feels... so... slow... now...

:)

edited for spelling.

Edited by Pan314159