My First Cache

RevCacher

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and after some thought I decided I wanted a handheld GPS for my hunting and hiking adventures. While trying to decide which GPS unit to get, I learned about geocaching. It sounded like it was a fun activity so I thought I would give it a try on my phone (since I don't get the handheld until Christmas!).

I remember riding my bike on the Katy Trail near Marthasville, MO when I was a child. For my first cache I was excited to find out that there was a cache near the Katy Trail trailhead in Clinton, MO. Since this would connect me back to my childhood I decided that it would be my first cache. It was a fun experience.

I look forward to finding more caches and being a part of this community!

Really cool you could make your first find a special memorable one! You will want to try and do the same with your 100th and your 500th and 1000th ect... But a great start with your first one as I think many mess that one up and it is one you cant change after. We actually got lucky with our first one as the first one we looked for was missing and wouldn't have been as cool as we found it later after it had been replaced. Are first one was a great one and we will never forget it. Hope many more in your future.

Funny story we were never going to tell. Our first one we looked for had a hint of something at a door. We found a box on a carwash door. Probably for workers to leave notes in or something. So we dropped off some swagg and a note with our user name on it and went on the the next. We ended up finding a few that day and quickly went back to the first place and removed our stuff we left. :)

Really cool you could make your first find a special memorable one! You will want to try and do the same with your 100th and your 500th and 1000th ect... But a great start with your first one as I think many mess that one up and it is one you cant change after. We actually got lucky with our first one as the first one we looked for was missing and wouldn't have been as cool as we found it later after it had been replaced. Are first one was a great one and we will never forget it. Hope many more in your future.

True, but I've seen a few newbies in the Forum who find an awesome one for their first (maybe they went with a Geocaching friend who wanted to show them a really cool cache), then once they take up the game themselves find out there's a whole lot of LPC's and guard rail caches out there too. I can see where that could be a little disillusioning to a starry-eyed new cacher.

To the OP, just know that some of the caches you encounter will be fairly ho-hum. You'll always remember your first one, and there will be a whole lot of cool, memorable ones along the way, but you're going to come across a lot of parking lot micros too.

Once you've been at this awhile, you'll start to develop your own tastes and caching style....if numbers are important to you, then every single smiley has a value. If you're more about quality and aesthetics, you'll learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.