Magellan eXplorist GC

I was thinking about getting the Magellan eXplorist GC as its made specifically for Geo caching, have watched a lot of videos on it but cant seem to find the answer to a couple of questions...

1)Can you see the maps as if in satellite view so I can see fields, rivers, roads etc or is just like a street view so when your in the middle of nowhere there's just a line, can use this on my phone but kills the battery quickly, and I find this a very useful feature for planning routes

2)How easy is it to load caches onto it, I like doing loops and like to plan the route before I leave on paper and save the caches to the offline lists on my phone, can I load a cache loop route on or is it just the caches

3)Has anyone got one, would you buy it again or something else after using it

Any other info you think would be helpful, would be helpful

Thanks Steve

I have the Explorist GC and like it. It us very easy to load the Caches if you have a premium membership to GC.com. I run a PQ of the Caches I have not found in the area, content the gps to the computer and drag the file to the unit. If I remember correctly, there is another way to load them too. I don't think I have ever loaded caches by route, so I can't answer that one. There is an option to find the next closest cache.

The map took a little getting used to since I loved the satellite feature of my not so smart phone. In my area (NW Ohio mostly) the rivers and streams, cemetery, park, and school boundaries are marked. They are not the satellite view though.

I ultimate use both my phone and the GC. My phone is usually used only to get me near gz since the GC does not do turn by turn directions. The battery life depends on the batteries. My mega pack from the discount store lasts a few hours, but the lithium energizer gets about 16 hours-well worth the extra money.

after more research I decided to buy another battery for my phone

A moot point now, but you would have had to buy Sat maps for it. The all official and stuff Magellan Digital Globe Sat Maps are $30 US for a one year subscription. There are cheaper options out there. And this thread is surely going to be moved to another forum any minute now....

The Magellan GC does come with a full and complete map of the United States (and maybe other countries in different areas). However, the unit won't auto-route or give turn by turn directions. You still get a "as the crow flies" line that points to the cache.

It can accept satellite mapping as someone pointed out but you got to pay for it.