Found GeoCoin - Doesn't exist in the System

geoklaus3000

Hello,

yesterday I found a GeoCoin that I am not able to track on geocaching.com.

The message is: "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system."

The coin wasn't logged in the inventory of the cache.

I googled the number of the coin and found this:

http://geocach.es/track.php?coin=2287&submitted=1

It seems that the Coin has visited official Caches of geocaching.com for a longer time...

But how to activate the coin?

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Here some pics:

mczh.jpg

v2m8.jpg

FWIW... not all trackable coins are trackable on geocaching.com. If they are they have to say so right on the coin. As others have said the website where this coin is tracked was right under your nose and you didn't know it. When you're looking for something it's always in the last place you look and you just weren't done looking yet. :):P

Thanks for posting pics so it could be easily understood where the misunderstanding was.

-_-

I looked up the sites you suggest before I post here... :-D

But on the coin itself is a site called geocaching.com and on its bag is a site called geocoins.ca...

I think the best way how to handle this coin is to get rid of it... :-)

Thanks for your help.

Sorry you having such trouble.... try clicking on this link and "log" the coin from the task bar:

http://www.geocoins.ca/home.php

Hope it helps

-_-

I looked up the sites you suggest before I post here... :-D

But on the coin itself is a site called geocaching.com and on its bag is a site called geocoins.ca...

I think the best way how to handle this coin is to get rid of it... :-)

Thanks for your help.

Looking at the pic you posted ... yes, it does show 'www.geocaching.com' ... but what Droo said is basically correct. What a geocaching.com coin NEEDS to have the added words: Track at Geocaching.com or Trackable at geocaching.com ... not just the gc web name. That is a 'minor' but VERY important difference.

Also, if '2287' is the only number on the coin it would not match any numbers ever used by Groundspeak (afaik). GS may have started with no less than 5 digits, but every coin I've ever seen has 6 digits, the first two being letters rather than numbers. Maybe a site ELDER ( :P ) could clarify this ... :laughing:

Also, if '2287' is the only number on the coin it would not match any numbers ever used by Groundspeak (afaik). GS may have started with no less than 5 digits, but every coin I've ever seen has 6 digits, the first two being letters rather than numbers. Maybe a site ELDER ( :P ) could clarify this ... :laughing:

Since you asked [:P] Yes, many older tracking numbers exist less than (6) digits. The most common tracking numbers less than 6 were USA geocoins, which if I recall started as 5 digit codes. I suppose that if anyone really cared I could go grab my 2003 and look at it [;)] Other combinations less than (6) also exist.

TMA

Congratulations on finding an original Canadian Geocoin :) This coin was released Aug. 8th 2008 by Mr. Canoehead from Calgary Alberta. From the CAGeocoin site it claims to have been retrieved July 14/13, the newer Canadian coins are tracked here at geocaching.com but the older ones were at the old site.

You can log your find there and of course as with all geocoins retrieved from the wild, send it on to its travels. Thanks for checking in with us here. B)

Since you asked [:P] Yes, many older tracking numbers exist less than (6) digits. The most common tracking numbers less than 6 were USA geocoins, which if I recall started as 5 digit codes. I suppose that if anyone really cared I could go grab my 2003 and look at it [;)] Other combinations less than (6) also exist.

TMA

Some day, at your convenience, it would be interesting. Just a piece of history and info that normally doesn't get passed down to us coining noobs. :D

Of the "other combinations" do you recall any with LESS that 5 digits ?