GPS or Map?

smawgunner

First post so please excuse my ignorance. I'm not even into geocaching but I knew you guys would know the subject better than anyone. I just bought 84 acres in southeastern Ohio and it's got some challenging terrain. The boundaries aren't even marked. I'd love to be able to pinpoint some favorite spots/features and trails on a map so I can go back and find them easily. My wife does not have the greatest map skills so it'd be nice to plot some points and hand her the GPS so she can go off on her own. So my question is, should I invest in a GPS or buy a nice topo map. The topo's I've seen are only 1:24,000. I was hoping to find more detail. Will a GPS do this? If not, is there a better source for topo maps? And are some GPS handhelds better for this sort of thing than others?

Thanks all!

Allen

GPS or Map?

Well Allen, for me the answer is both!!!

A GPS with a map inside is "The Cats Meow"

I got my first GPS in 2007 and stoped using paper maps shortly thereafter.

Only "24K" you say, you can make more detailed maps but 24K gets me all over the west whether on trail or off.

I'd suggest you start at 24K and go more detailed if needed.

Your city/county may have large-scale mapping that you can purchase. If they have GIS, they should be able to identify your property and give you a print of your area. You should be able to identify some of your landmarks in the satellite view of most of the on-line maps. They will allow you to get the coordinates for a point that you pick. (You may have to convert the format to enter it into the GPS.) I recommend getting a GPS that can upload maps as there are a number of free topographic maps available. Also, make sure that it does paperless geocaching, as you will eventually want to start geocaching :-)

First post so please excuse my ignorance. I'm not even into geocaching but I knew you guys would know the subject better than anyone. I just bought 84 acres in southeastern Ohio and it's got some challenging terrain. The boundaries aren't even marked. I'd love to be able to pinpoint some favorite spots/features and trails on a map so I can go back and find them easily. My wife does not have the greatest map skills so it'd be nice to plot some points and hand her the GPS so she can go off on her own. So my question is, should I invest in a GPS or buy a nice topo map. The topo's I've seen are only 1:24,000. I was hoping to find more detail. Will a GPS do this? If not, is there a better source for topo maps? And are some GPS handhelds better for this sort of thing than others?

Thanks all!

Allen

As this is posted, the following site is down temporarily: http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/maps.html

You can get just about any map you want, including 15 minute and 7.5 minute -- a lot more detail than 24k.

On the other hand, a simple GPSr unit can mark and hold your corners, compute the acreage, mark any features within as well as steer you to them with a minute's notice.

My advice is to do BOTH!